How to use Aurasma
What is it?
- An augmented realty app and creator.
- It brings a picture or other object to life.
- It adds a video or overlay over the picture.
- Some people have called them QR codes on steroids.
- Go to the Aurasma website and sign up.
- Download the App - It is in iTunes, Google Play, and the Windows store.
- Find a photo, or if you are on your iPad take a photo, that will serve as your trigger image.
- Choose something to overlay - video, voice, text, link, anything.
- If you are using the mobile app, you have to either make the video on your device or download it.
Using a Computer
- To do a webstie:
- Insert an existing overlay
- In the top right, insert a blank overlay.
- In the box add a website.
- Put the website in there.
Using a Mobile Device
- Download the App
- You have to have everything saved onto your device.
- When using a device, it is easiest to create your own
- Or download>save to drive or drop box>put on device
- Click on the plus sign in the app
- Choose what you want to be shown when you scan (overlay)
- Choose the picture/trigger image.
- You are done!
Tips and Warnings
- Use a darker picture or something that has a lot of detail.
- It may be easier to use actual objects.
- For some reason making it public makes it not work right. :( (At least that was how it was for me.)
- The problem with that is that no one else can view it unless they subscribe to your channel. You just have to work with it.
- Sometimes it will work when you subscribe to the channel, sometimes not.
- Ones I have done on the computer and on a device didn't show up in both places.
- Poster telling about the teacher
- Interactive periodic table...interactive ANYTHING!
- A student created poster with a video of them telling about it.
- An assignment calendar that links to a Google Doc.
- "Frayer model" vocabulary - rather than writing down the definition, the student could make a video telling what the word is about.
- Interactive word walls.