By: Joe Cogley
Who, What, Where, When, and Why
- The main operator behind the controls name was Alexander Akimov.
- He was a former shift foreman at the Chernobyl power plant.
- With him was Leonid Toptunov
- Toptunov is an engineer with 26 years of experience
- IT BLEW UP!!!
- 1:23 A.M.
- 2,200 pound steal lid obliterated and was thrown miles away
- it reached 4,500 degrees Fahrenheit
- fire was under control by 5:00 A.M.
- over 135,000 people were evacuated at that time, many more later.
- 6 billion dollar clean up
- about 576,000 deaths from radiation poisoning.
- Urkaine, Russia. In the town of Chernobyl. at the Chernobyl V. I. Lenin Nuclear power plant
- April 26,1986
- Alexander Akimov's decision to test the reactor in unsafe conditions.
the test was postponed the night before and they were told to post pone the test for a second time that day
- They went and did the test anyways, in unsafe conditions