What's Happening ?? !!
~ Hawley School Newsletter: August 25, 2018 ~
From the Desk of Mr. Moretti
Dear Hawley Parents/Guardians,
WOW! Summer flew: it was great but it was fast. Staff is back and we are geared up and ready for an exciting new school year. Dipped our toe in Friday with the Bus Run and Walk Through and am looking forward now to the Cannonball that will be Monday.
Welcome NEW families and Welcome Back returning families.
Here's What's Happening at Hawley.......
Teacher Fun at NYA
K Bus Run
Student Walk Through
Bus / Arrival / Dismissal Information
- Give buses extra time in the morning and the afternoon (be early / stay late at stops). It takes a few days to regulate actual times.
- Elementary students can not be dropped off in the afternoon by a bus at a stop without an adult present unless a waiver is signed for the bus company. Without an adult or a waiver, students are returned to school to be picked up (this does upset and worry students). You can get a waiver on our website or by clicking HERE.
- Students being picked-up after school need a note. Permanent notes can be written (example: picked up everyday, every Tuesday). Even if a note was written last year, we need an updated one for this school year. Without a pick-up note, students are put on the bus.
- No student is dropped off or picked up (during arrival and dismissal times) using the main entrance. Click HERE for drop-off and pick-up procedures.
- If a student is walking home, a waiver must be filled out and sent into school. Reed students send waivers to Reed and Hawley students send waivers to Hawley. Waivers are available on our website or by clicking HERE.
- If a student is met at the end of the day by an adult, even if walking home, they are considered a pick-up therefore following pick-up procedures and locations.
Please make sure that you and your child are on the same page and that the school has the correct information. Students will go home based on information we have from a parent in writing (not by student word of mouth). Changes always occur and we understand that but the earlier we are made aware of them, the more comforting to you child. Always contact the main office with changes.
Where Do I Go???
- All classroom teachers meet and gather their classes out front the first few days and all students go to class together (even drop-offs are brought out front at first)
- Other staff is scattered throughout the building the first few days making sure everyone gets to where they need to be.
We are so grateful for the time and effort that goes into providing lunch for us as a Welcome Back to School event. It is always delicious, fun, and so appreciated.
Our PTA is so supportive of our work and provides students and families so many fun activities and events. Please join and get involved, there are so many ways to do so. We even have a very active Father's Club. More information in 1st day packets and at Open House.
Dates to Remember
Mon, Aug 27: First Day of School!!
Mon, Sept 3: NO SCHOOL (Labor Day)
Tues, Sept 4: K-2 Open House, 6:30-8:00 pm
Wed, Sept 5: Grades 3-4 Open House, 6:30-8:00 pm
Mon, Sept 10: NO SCHOOL (Rosh Hashanah)
Wed, Sept 12: Picture Day! ;0)
Wed, Sept 12: PTA Ice Cream Social, 6:00-7:00 pm
Wed, Sept 19: NO SCHOOL (Yom Kippur)
Out of the mouths of babes.....
Kindergarten Bus Run morning. Students arriving and departing buses. Some trepidation, some smiles, some puzzled looks. Teachers greet students and gather them by class. All students from the same class are put together with their teacher. This conversation was overheard as they were walking in.....
"That is Mrs. Fries, she is my teacher." says student 1
"I have Mrs. Fries." exclaims student 2
Student 3 adds, "Cool, Mrs. Fries is my teacher!"
"Guess what?" asks student 4
"What?" they all respond
"This is so weird, I have Mrs Fries too."