April 18 - 22
Mark your Calendar
Monday, 4/18 WOW Garden Club (2:45-4:00pm)
Thursday, 4/21 PTA meeting/Diversity Night (6:30pm)
Friday 4/29 College Colors day and Kindergarten registration (just in case you have a sibling)
Saturday 4/30 GES Dad's club crawfish boil
Monday 5/9 - Wednesday 5/11 GES will be a closed campus for STAAR testing
Monday 5/9 WOW garden club
Friday 5/13 Charlie Brown performance
Monday 5/23 Career day and WOW garden club
Wednesday 5/25 1st Grade Success Ceremony (8:00 in the cafeteria)
Thursday 5/26 Field day
Friday 5/27 NO SCHOOL Bad weather make up day
Monday 5/30 No School Memorial Day holiday
Learning Topics for the Week
Reading/Language Arts: Students will identify how authors use words, images, graphics and sound to impact meaning in various media, students will write poetry
Spelling Words - Long e, ee words On Level: week, wheel, street, need, three, sleep, meet, feed, told, cold, jump, fish
Challenge: cheetah, chimpanzee, eighteen, freedom, kneeling
Science: Chicken Life Cycle
Social Studies: Analyze all the things we do in First grade to be a good citizen
Please send your child's iPad fully charged everyday
Over the past few weeks, we have welcomed in spring weather which necessitates sending some reminders for after school dismissal procedures. Please utilize the front & back car lines whenever possible.
If you are walking to meet your student(s):
- Please meet your child at the designated walker stations
- Please do not walk your dogs on campus. We have numerous issues with students petting dogs and not paying attention to their ride home. As friendly as your dogs may be, surrounding them with 20+ little people and attention can cause them to act in unpredictable ways. We don't want anyone to get hurt or bit. We also have many students with pet allergies and need to be mindful of their health while they are at school. Feel free to meet your children at the Hughes or Hall-Johnson crosswalks with your pet.
- Utilize crosswalks when crossing campus driveways and surrounding streets
- After school, the small playground is for KidzU use only after school. Feel free to play on the large playground instead.
- Please follow all traffic and school zone laws
- Refrain from using your cell phone while in a school zone
- Take turns when turning into the school driveways
- Yield to pedestrians and buses
- Load students quickly and carefully pull away from the curb when able
If you choose to drive and park to pick up your student:
- Please cross the crosswalk and meet your child in the lines where they wait
- As of Monday, 4/11, we will no longer allow any students to cross the front driveway, or the back loop to the parking lot without an adult accompanying them.
- Students can safely cross the crosswalk with the adult who is picking them up
- Park in designated spaces only. Please honor all PTA reserved parking signs.
We appreciate your support as we work to safely dismiss 520 students each day! If we all work together, we can make dismissal a safe and more efficient process.
We're learning about Oviparous animals (animals that hatch from eggs) please look at the egg cam if you have a minute.
To access the Egg Cam:
1. Go to the Grapevine Elementary homepage. http://www.gcisd-k12.org/Domain/1675
2. Click on the Departments and Programs tab and click on First Grade.
3. Click on the Egg Cam tab on the right side of the First Grade Page.
Click the button on the chick picture to view live.
Earth Week Photo Contest
GCISD Book Challenge update
The deadline is quickly approaching to complete the reading challenge by May 12th!! Every student who completes this challenge will receive a certificate.