School Board Update
June 22, 2021
Agenda for the June 24, 2021 School Board Meeting
The agenda for the June 24 School Board Meeting is posted on BoardDocs at:
https://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/arlington/Board.nsf/vpublic?open. Subject to change.
The regular School Board Meetings will be conducted in-person, with strictly limited attendance. (Work sessions and other meetings will continue to be held virtually.)
Meetings are available for viewing live on the APS website and broadcast on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FIOS Channel 41.
A. CLOSED MEETING – 6 PM
B. REGULAR MEETING OPENING - 7 PM
1. Call to Order
2. Pledge of Allegiance
3. PUBLIC COMMENT ON NON-AGENDA AND AGENDA ITEMS:
- Student Athletes
- County Return to School Working Group Transportation Team Acknowledgement and Thanks
- McKinley and Fleet Elementary Schools Recognized ASCA Model Program Designation
- June 29, 2021 Closed Meeting, 6 PM
6. Superintendent’s Announcements and Updates
C. CONSENT ITEMS:
2. Personnel Actions
3. Family and Community Engagement Brief
4. Arlington Community High School Accreditation
5. Appointments to the Advisory Council on School Facilities and Capital Programs*
6. Appointments to the Budget Advisory Council* REMOVED FROM AGENDA
7. Appointments to the Advisory Council on Teaching and Learning (Co-Chairs and Vice Chairs)* REMVOED FROM AGENDA and the Arlington Special Education Advisory Committee
8. ESEA Program Applications
9. Education Center Reuse Change to Construction Manager Advisor Contract
*Appointments to the Advisory Council on School Facilities and Capital Programs, the Budget Advisory Council, and the Advisory Council on Teaching and Learning have been postponed to the July 1, 2021 School Board Meeting
D. MONITORING ITEMS:
1. School Year 2020-2021 Final Update
2. Advisory Council on School Facilities and Capital Programs Annual Report
3. Budget Advisory Council Annual Report
4. Advisory Council on Teaching and Learning Annual Report
5. Internal Audit Annual Report
E. ACTION ITEMS:
1. FY 2022-2024 Capital Improvement Plan
2. School Resource Officer Work Group - Superintendent’s Recommendations
F. INFORMATION ITEMS:
1. Cherrydale Farmers Market – Open Air Market License Agreement at Dorothy Hamm Middle School
G. INFORMATION/ACTION ITEM:
1. Revision to School Board Final FY 2022 Budget
H. NEW BUSINESS:
On Thu, July 1, the School Board will hold its organizational meeting at 9:30 a.m. to elect the new Chair and Vice Chair. The School Board is then scheduled to meet on July 15, July 29, Aug. 12 and Aug. 26, pending approval on July 1.
Congratulations to the Class of 2021!
Back-to-School Town Halls with the Superintendent
More details will be provided on the Engage webpage in July.
Arlington Community Learning Summer Registration Now Open
New Stratford Commemorative Trail Marks First Public School Desegregation in Virginia
The dedication was a short program of invited speakers. Although in-person attendance was limited to invitation-only as a COVID-19 precaution, the livestream is posted at https://livestream.com/accounts/15710745/events/9709630.
School Board Open Office Hours
The School Board does not host Open Office Hours over the summer. The schedule and information about the format for Open Office Hours for the 2021-2022 school year will be posted in late August at https://www.apsva.us/contact-the-school-board/open-office-hours/.
Updates for the School Year 2020-2021
APS has the following information available for families:
- The APS COVID-19 webpage has the latest updates and new FAQs about instruction, technology, meals for students, family resources and more.
Extended Day Registration for School Year 2021-22: https://www.apsva.us/extended-day/registration/
Information about American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Elementary and Secondary Emergency Relief (ESSER) III Fund: https://www.apsva.us/budget-finance/arpa-esser-fund-info/
COVID-19 Mitigation Measures for Summer and Fall 2021: https://www.apsva.us/school-year-2021-22/health-safety/
Student-Issued Devices: Summer 2021: https://www.apsva.us/post/student-issued-devices/
APS to Provide Free Meals for Students at 15 Locations This Summer: https://www.apsva.us/school-year-2020-21/meal-services/
- Project Extra Step Provides Support to Families Experiencing Homelessness: https://www.apsva.us/student-services/homeless/?utm_source=project%20extra%20step&utm_campaign=f5feb12
- Need assistance? See who to contact at https://www.apsva.us/post/who-to-contact-for-help/
Questions related to APS and the change in operations due to COVID-19 can be sent to email@example.com