Shorewood Hills Shark Tooth
October 23rd, 2020
Since the last newsletter, we've had some important updates/changes provided by MMSD that will start in second quarter (November 2nd). The Shorewood staff and I have been working since we received this updated guidance to make improvements to our programming.
We are grateful to our district leaders for openly and honestly listening to family and staff feedback so that we can better serve our students during virtual learning. Please see the next section in the newsletter below for information on some of the most impactful changes on families.
We really hope these adjustments will reduce screen time, support families and daycares managing multiple schedules, and will lead everyone being more successful during these challenging times.
Finally, If you are able to join, I would love to see you at the next principal coffee! All families are welcome to attend on Tuesday, October 27th at 8:00AM and Friday, October 30th at 8:00AM for our African-American/Black families. The Zoom link is the same for all of the meetings: https://zoom.us/j/91397202048
Second Quarter Updates
The two primary areas of change starting November 2nd are:
- Lunch/recess will now be 11:30-12:30 for all MMSD elementary schools.
- We are aiming to move math and reading to the morning and specials to the afternoon.
- Science and social studies will be integrated into literacy.
- Students will have 4-5 scheduled Zoom classes per day to reduce screen time.
- The new schedule will be shared with you next week Wednesday.
- No new lessons will be assigned for Wednesday.
- Wednesdays will be a make-up day. Students will also have a "choice board" of activities they can work on such as Lexia or DreamBox.
- Students will be automatically marked present for Wednesdays unless a parent calls them in sick.
Save the Date: Materials Pick-Up for Second Quarter
Pick up locations:
Kindergarten & First Grade: Outside of 4K room on Amherst Dr.
Second & Third Grades: Front entrance on Shorewood Blvd.
Fourth & Fifth Grades: South of front entrance on Shorewood Blvd.
**4K: The bags you received for first quarter will last until December. Therefore, there are no supplies for you to pick up this time.
Sports Equipment Drive Update!
Sports Exchange distribution day will be October 25th from 12:00-2:00PM. It will be first come first serve. You do not have to donate to participate in the exchange. There will be a one way pick up located by the K/1st/2nd grade playground. Masks are REQUIRED on school property and we ask that everyone practice safe social distancing. All items will be washed/sanitized prior to pick-up. There are currently several sport balls available along with tennis rackets and a pair of kids skis. Anything left will be donated to the school or MSCR. We look forward to seeing you!!
Join Cub Scouts Pack 302!
The great outdoors are still open, and so is another year of Cub Scouting! Pack 302 is now accepting boys and girls ages 5 through 10 to join Cub Scouts. For this year, the pack will begin with small-group, outdoor activities safely conducted under the supervision of volunteer leaders and other parents. Virtual and individual activities will occur throughout the year, as well. The methods might be different, but the purposes of Scouting are the same—teaching youth lifelong lessons in leadership, citizenship, the outdoors, and lots of other skills.
Applications can be started here, or search for Pack 302 at BeAScout.org. Annual dues are required, but financial assistance may be available. Any questions about membership or activities can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virtual Coffee with the Principal!
- Tuesday, October 27th 8:00-9:00 (All Families)
- Friday, October 30th 8:00-9:00 AM (African/African-American Families)
- Friday, November 6th 8:00-9:00 AM (Korean Speaking Families)
- Tuesday, November 10th 8:00-9:00 AM (All Families)
- Friday, November 13th 8:00-9:00 (Arabic Speaking Families)
- Friday, November 20th 8:00-9:00 (Spanish Speaking Families)
- Tuesday, November 24th 8:00-9:00 AM (All Families)
The Zoom link for ALL meetings: https://zoom.us/j/91397202048
Family Nutrition Tips!
Resources and Upcoming Dates
- Sunday, October 25th 10:00-2:00: Sport Equipment Distribution
- Wednesday, November 4th: Materials Pick-Up
- Friday, November 6th: Early release day. Classes end at 11:30
- Thursday, November 12th: Fall family conferences. More info coming soon!
Text “HOPELINE” to 741741
Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 608-280-2600 or 1-800-273-8255
Briarpatch Helpline: 1-800-798-1126
24/7 SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline - 1-800-985-5990
24/7 Parental Stress Line - 1-800-632-8188
- Domestic Abuse Intervention Services (DAIS) Help Line: 608-251-4445 or 800-747-4045, If you are in immediate danger, call 911.