Professional Development Workshop
With Mrs. April Wells
Using Interactive websites and Manipulatives for Teaching Mathematics in the lower grades
Hello! My name is Mrs. Wells
I love technology and have been using it since I was a young girl in the 80's. However, today's student is very different from the way we grew up. They are much more involved with technology as part of their everyday lives. They use iPhones and iPads as easily as they breathe and in many cases they can out smart many adults on most devices.
This is why it is so important as teachers that we are familiar with incorporating technology into their learning. However, there should be a healthy balance for children. They still need to communicate and interact socially, write with a pencil, and read actual books!
Today we I would like to show you some great ways to incorporate a little technology into your daily or weekly lessons. I will focus on mathematics and provide you with great interactive resources as well as show you a few simple ways to use your Smartboards as a math manipulative tool.
Below is my contact information should you ever have any questions or need assistance on incorporating technology into your classroom.
Please Take a Moment to Fill out the Survey
- Teachers should be able to look for and find websites that contain lessons that are interactive in mathematics.
- Teachers should be able to incorporate interactive activities into their math lessons.
- Teachers should be able to use the basic functions of the Smartboard in order to create a page with interactive manipulatives for math lessons.
Workshop length - Approx: 1 hour 20 min
- Discussion on use of technology in the classroom
- Based on the answers to the survey we will discuss the level of use in the classroom and what do you think is an appropriate amount for students in younger grades? - 10
- Short video screencast of using Smart Notebook shapes and pictures as manipulatives - 5
· Sign up and create an account for SmartExchange and Explore website - 10
· Sign up and create an account for Teq & explore website - 10
· Visit and explore The National Library of Virtual Manipulatives - 15
· A quick look at interactive math games for lower grades - 15
- Sheppard Software
· Assignment - Teachers will find and download one Smart Notebook lesson that uses math manipulatives to go along with any math lesson your are teaching.
· Closing discussion – What is one we can do this week to incorporate some interactivity into our mathematics lessons? - 10
· Email teachers Smore presentation and all resources
Using Manipulatives on Smart Notebook Software
Due in 2 days