Geography of Southern Africa
Cape of Good Hope
Cape of good Hope's latitude and longitude is 34.3581° S, 18.4719° E. The Cape of Good Hope is a peninsula located a little northwest of the southern tip of Africa. The first name for the Cape was “Cape of Storms,” given by Portuguese explorer Bartolomeu Dias in 1488. It was later renamed “Cape of Good Hope” because it offered a way to access India and the East. Cape Town was founded in 1652 by the Dutch East India Company as a rest stop along the way around Africa.