Foothill MS Community Memo
March 5, 2021
Check out some of our new physical features on campus
By now you should have received multiple communications from Dr. Clark about upcoming plans that are moving to the Board meeting on Wednesday, March 10, for approval. There are target dates and much information for families to digest. There is so much going on--the excitement in the air feels palpable. Next week I will push out information and a survey for families who decided on returning to campus for a Hybrid experience to finish this school year.
Once a schedule has been decided I will share it with the entire community. At that point families will make the final determination to either come to campus for Hybrid (two afternoons, each two hours in length), or to stay distance in the afternoon. There will be a compact that families will agree to for their commitment to parameters set for coming on campus for Hybrid.
As we begin preparations for students to return to campus it is essential that if your child takes medication during the day (this includes ANY prescription or doctor directed OTC, such as a rescue inhaler) you must have the District Administration of Medication form completed and on file. The medication will be stored in the office unless the form explicitly states it can be carried on their person--form is still required.
It is time to prepare for next year's courses. Below you will find timelines and details. The Admin team visited with all 6th grade Advisory classes to review details, and we will see the 7th grade Advisory classes next week. All of the resources and dates are found below.
You will find so many other important news features with details below on these topics:
- Spirit Wear is available to order now through March 14
- Parent/Guardian presentation and panel on Alcohol, Cannabis, and Prescription Drugs
- MDUSD Mental Health webinars are continuing
Wishing you a safe and restful weekend.
With much appreciation,
T-shirts, joggers, sweatshirts, leggings, and more!
FOOTHILL SPIRIT WEAR ON SALE AGAIN for a limited time only! Our Foothill Spirit wear site is open NOW with some fun new items and many returning favorites! The website will only be open for ordering through Sunday, March 14th so that we can get items delivered prior to Spring Break. https://myspiritapparel.com/Griffins
This will be the FINAL opportunity to purchase Griffin Spirit wear for the 2020/2021 School year. Don't forget... 20% of all sales come straight back to Foothill! Don't miss your chance.... ORDER TODAY!
If your child needs ANY medication during the school day you must fill our this form (physician signature required) and it needs to be on file.
8th grade students
6th and 7th grade Students
- March 3 during the Advisory class the Admin team presented to current 6th grade students.
- March 10 during the Advisory class the Admin team is presenting to current 7th grade students.
- 2021-2022 Course Catalog and the class presentation with instructions on signing up for electives for the 2021-2022 school year, posted on Student Resources page and in the Griffin News on our website.
- March 10 AERIES opens for students and families to make their selections.
- March 17, 11:59 pm Elective window closes on Aeries.
A few details on classes that have a few restrictions:
- General Shop is for 8th grade only and can only be taken if students took Woodshop or General Shop at least one semester in 7th grade.
- Spanish 1B is only open to students who took 1A and received a C in both Spanish 1A and English 7.
- Advanced Art is by teacher recommendation and application, contact Ms. Traynor-Stephanos directly (must have experience).
- Leadership, Advanced Drama, Advanced Art, and Yearbook are application courses. You will need to sign up for other electives first and then submit an application. Applications will be available soon.
REPOST: MDUSD Monthly Mental Health Webinars
- 03/09/2021 - Parent Self Care
- 03/30/2021 - Recognizing When To Get Help Beyond The Home
- 04/20/2021 - Anxiety And Depression
- 05/11/2021 - Parents Of Teens And Tweens- How To Facilitate Independence When They Can't Leave The House
- 06/01/2021 - Parents Of Elementary Age- What Skills Can We Increase During Distance Learning
- 06/22/2021 - Finding Community Supports And Summer Activities
Webinar Zoom/registration information will be posted here close to session dates.
REPOST: Yearbook news!!
With this crazy year, we are putting together a yearbook like no other! Since we are not on campus, we are depending on you to provide photos of your students to include in the yearbook. We would love photos of all the things they have been doing this year such as:
- First day of School
- Distance Learning set up
- Covid Pets
- Getting Outside
- Keeping active
- In the Kitchen
- Gaming with Friends
- Siblings / Twins
- Band or other music interests
- School Spirit
- Mask fashions
- Community Service
- Beach Time
- Golf, hiking, swimming, sports
- Trying something new
Please help us by submitting up to 10 of your best photos by March 15th. They must be in .jpg, .jpeg, or .png format. Please select high quality images for best reproduction in the yearbook. Low resolution images may not be used.
Submitting photos is easy! Go to www.hjeshare.com and enter the school code: foothill. From there, follow the instructions. Be sure to include the student's name, grade level, and a short description of the photo such as "First day of School" or "Mask Fashions."
The yearbook team thanks you for helping fill the yearbook with images of what's really happening this year!
p.s. To order a yearbook, go to the Herff Jones Yearbook website. Our school's order number is 6047.
p.p.s. To create an ad for your 8th grader, scroll down on the order page to "Share Your Love" and follow the instructions from there. Deadline extended to March 15.