January 8, 2018
Welcome to 2018! The #1 new years resolution for this year in a National Survey was to "be a better person!" Kindness does matter and it starts with each of us. So this year Rockets, be better than 2017, be kinder in 2018! Make it a better world in 2018, the choice is yours!
SUNDAY FUN OPEN SWIMS BEGIN JANUARY 7, 2018!
Benton-Carroll-Salem Schools is pleased to announce new times for Sunday Fun Open Swims at the Oak Harbor High School Pool for all B-C-S students, families, and community members starting on January 7, 2018. Racquet ball courts will also be open to adults during these times. The pool and racquet ball courts will be open on the following Sundays from 2:00 until 4:00 PM: January 7, 14, 21, 28; February 4, 11, 18, 25; March 4,11,18, 25.
Pool admission cost to be paid at the door for B-C-S students is only $1, and B-C-S adults will be $2. Racquet ball courts will be open to B-C-S adults only for an additional charge of $2 (limit 4 per court). A lifeguard and site director will be on site to ensure safety. Please note that these Sunday Fun times will be cancelled if Ottawa County is on a Level Two or Level Three Emergency as announced by the Ottawa County Sheriff.
Please call the B-C-S Board of Education office at 898-6210 if you have any questions.
Tune in every Monday for #MakeADifferenceMonday where we will feature a stakeholder, student, or fellow alumni answering "Five questions for B-C-S"
This week B-C-S is featuring, OHMS Middle School Principal, Laramie Spurlock
1. How long have you been Principal at the Oak Harbor Middle School?
- This is my third year as the Principal at OHMS. I served as the Assistant Principal for one year prior to that. I have loved every minute of it!
2. What do you view as your most important contribution to the daily operations of your school?
- I feel as though my most important contribution is service. I feel as though I am here to serve the staff, students, parents, and community in everything I do. I strive to make sure our teachers have what they need in order to provide the best educational experience to our students possible.
3. How do you build leadership in your school?
- I try to create an environment where every staff member feels comfortable sharing their thoughts and opinions with me. We are a team and I truly value the opinions and perspectives of each and every staff member.
4. Does Oak Harbor Middle School offer tutoring or other support if students need extra help?
- Every grade level offers intervention and enrichment time throughout the day. Students are able to get support from their teachers in all subjects. We also allow students to stay after school to work on their on-line assignment. We do have some supervision and support available each day until 3:45 if requested.
5. What are some hobbies your family enjoys?
- My family enjoys many different activities together. We enjoy golfing, hiking in the mountains, running, playing games, and pretty much anything outdoors. I enjoy cutting wood, hunting, golfing, fishing, and watching Buckeyes football.
What's Going On At RC Waters Elementary?
R.C Waters receives Bronze Award at 3rd Annual OH PBIS Showcase!
R.C Waters Elementary School received a bronze award, from the Region 1 State Support Team, at the 3rd Annual OH PBIS Showcase in Mansfield on November 30, 2017. This statewide recognition is awarded to buildings for their implementation of Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) with a high degree of quality and fidelity. The focus of PBIS is to improve the social-emotional climate for both staff and students in the building. While at the conference, staff members attended breakout sessions to discover new ideas from other schools and districts in the state. R.C. Waters staff is excited to incorporate the new ideas into their program.
Staff members representing R.C. Waters: Ann Mussell, 1st Grade Teacher; Cassy Dornbusch, Reading Teacher; Angie Lipstraw, Assistant Principal
Students learned about New Year's Resolutions. Students wrote their own resolutions. They were very fun to read! Less TV, more washing dishes...Less ipad, more helping with chores... Love it!
It may be COLD outside, but kindergarten students stayed warm during indoor recess and enjoyed building, creating, and playing.
We're counting down the days until we begin our One School, One Book campaign. Last year we read The One and Only Ivan. What book will we be reading this year??? We'll find out at the Big Reveal coming soon!
Mrs. Sutter's class received a donation of chapter books from Mrs. Siefke in memory of her daughter, Tess Siefke. Mrs. Sutter was very appreciative of the donation.
What's Going On At Oak Harbor Middle School?
Having fun at 7th Grade School Bucks Auction!
Congrats to our middle school team on their championship at Fasset(Oregon Clay) tournament. Great job men!
It’s the Annual 7th Grade School Bucks Auction! Thanks for a great year so far 7th graders!!
WHATS GOING ON AT OAK HARBOR HIGH SCHOOL?
It’s so cold outside the Polar Bears have come inside!! Go Rockets!!
OHHS technology professional development led by staff!! Great way to start 2018!!
Rockets are in their seats and teachers are on their feet using every moment they have!
ROCKET SPORTS HIGHLIGHTS!
- Cam Dickman 120lbs 3rd Place finisher at Medina.
- V Boys Basketball Final Margaretta 37 Oak Harbor 53 Tate Smith leads Oak Harbor with 13 points and Aric McAtee adds 10 including a 3rd quarter dunk. Nice job Rockets!
- V Girls Basketball Final Port Clinton 23 Oak Harbor 59 Logan Harris scores 19 points for Oak Harbor. Sophia Eli adds 13.
- We are underway at the Subway Swimming Invitational at Oak Harbor High School. Thanks to all of our athletes and coaches for competing today. Also a big thank you to Subway and the countless volunteers that make this event such a big success.
- Women’s swim team placed 4th while the men’s swim team placed 7th at the 8th Annual Oak Harbor Invitational out of 19 teams!
- V Boys Basketball Final Port Clinton 46 Oak Harbor 55 Jac Alexander led all scorers with 23 points. Good win Rockets.
- Congrats to our middle school team on their championship at Fasset(Oregon Clay) tournament. Great job men!
BENTON-CARROLL-SALEM LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
WEEKLY SPORTS AND SCHOOL CALENDAR
WEEK OF 01/08/2018
Tuesday, January 9
4:30 PM H MS ~ Boys Basketball - Edison
4:30 PM A MS ~ Girls Basketball - Edison
6:00 PM A HS ~ Girls Basketball - Edison
Wednesday, January 10
4:30 PM A MS ~ Wrestling - Clyde Quad
Thursday, January 11
4:30 PM A HS ~ Swimming & Diving - Margaretta
4:30 PM A MS ~ Boys Basketball - Huron
4:30 PM H MS ~ Girls Basketball - Huron
Friday, January 12
End of 2nd nine week grading period
HS ~ SBC Diving - Home
11:00 AM A HS ~ Varsity Wrestling - Maumee Bay - Clay HS
4:30 PM A HS ~ Boys Basketball - Edison -
Saturday, January 13
HS ~ SBC Swimming - Home
10:00 AM A HS ~ JV Wrestling - Carey Invite
11:00 AM HS ~ Varsity Wrestling - Maumee Bay - Clay HS
1:00 PM H HS ~ Girls Basketball - Huron
4:30 PM H HS ~ Boys Basketball - St. Mary
The school district was founded on July 1, 1967 due to the consolidation of the Benton Township School District, the Carroll Township School District, and the Salem-Oak Harbor School District.Benton-Carroll-Salem Local School District, home of the Oak Harbor Rockets, serves 1700 students on three campuses: R.C. Waters Elementary School (Grades K--3), Oak Harbor Middle School (Grades 4--7), and Oak Harbor High School (Grades 8--12). The district is committed to serving the needs of all students to prepare them for the challenges of citizenship, the workforce, and life long learning.