5th Grade Newsletter
Dates to Remember
Horizon Book Fair
Monday, November 17- Friday, November 21
Family Night at the Book Fair
Friday November 21st 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Horizon Food and Coat Drive: November 17- November 21
Monday- Any Helper Meals in boxes or cans
Tuesday- Any canned meat
Wednesday- Cereals, Oatmeal, Coffee, Peanut Butter
Thursday- Any Soup or Crackers
Friday- Any canned fruits, applesauce or vegetables
Thanksgiving Break -November 26-28
Looking Back at the Halloween Party
5th Grade Curriculum
Upcoming Envision Math Topics
Dividing by 2-Digit Divisors
- Using Patterns to Divide
- Estimating Quotients with 2-Digit Divisors
- Connecting Models and Symbols
- Dividing by Multiples of 10
- 1-Digit Quotients
- 2-Digit Quotients
- Estimating and Dividing with Greater Numbers
- Multiplying Decimals by 10,100, or 1000
- Estimating the Product of a Decimal and a Whole Number
- Number Sense: Decimal Multiplication
- Models for Multiplying and Decimals
- Multiplying a Decimal by a Whole Number
- Multiplying Two Decimals
Science Properties of Matter
- Develop and model to describe that matter is made of particles too small to bee seen
- Understanding the evidence that regardless of the type of change that occurs when heating, cooling, or mixing substances, the total weight of matter is conserved.
- Make observations and measurements to identify materials based on their properties
- Conduct an investigation to determine whether the mixing of two or more substances results in a new substance.
ELA and Writing Standards
We will be practicing the following concepts in different subjects throughout the quarter.
- Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words
- Delinate and evaluate the arguement and specific claims in a text, including the validity of the reasoning as well as the reevance and sufficiency of the evidence.
- Link opinion and reasons using words, phrases, and clauses
- Introduce topic clearly, provide a general observation and focus, and group related information logically;include formatting, illistrations, and multimedia when useful to aiding coprehension.
- Use a variety of transitional words, phrases, and clauses to manage the sequence of events.