Chelsie Beougher, Section C, 9/10/15
What is interactive writing?
Why is interactive writing a powerful teaching approach?
- it has the students and teacher discussing details of the writing process along the way
- promotes independent writing
- compliments and strengthens other writing processes
- deeply guides the students through the writing process
- allows for discussion on conventions of a text (spelling, punctuation, capitalization, sentence structure, etc)
Key details to remember when using interactive writing in the classroom.
- keep the students engaged
- keep the pace as fast as the grade level can handle
- teacher must promote discussion amongst the students
- relate text back to shared experiences amongst the students
- think about what going to write, discuss as a group, compose, discuss and improve upon things, use the share pen approach, and review as a group.
Ways to use interactive writing in the classroom.
- class recordings during a science experiment
- summarizing a story
- writing weekly newsletter passage to inform the parents of what they learned about during the week at school
My opinion on interactive writing.
Do you think interactive writing is more beneficial in the lower grades or upper grades? Or do you think its very beneficial in both?
Would you use interactive writing in your future classrooms?
Roth, Kate ; Dabrowski, JoanThe Reading Teacher, 2014, Vol.68(1), pp.33-44 [Peer Reviewed Journal]