investigating the flow of liquids
· A stop watch
· A tape measure
· A ramp – a table and two tote trays ( secured with masking tape.
· 30mls of each different liquid to test (water, oil, tomato sauce, honey and mayonnaise)
· Small containers
· Recording tables/sheets a plastic drop cloth to catch the messCalculators
1. Measure out 30mls of each liquid.
2. Set your stop watch to zero.
3. Tip one liquid at a time from the top of the ramp. Remember to communicate with your group to ensure the timer starts as you tip the liquid.
4. Let the liquid flow for the set time you have decided and measure the distance travelled.
5. Record your results in the table.
6. Repeat for each type of liquid, recording your results as you go.
7. Clean your ramp for the next test.
8. Tip one liquid down the ramp and time how long it takes to reach the bottom.
9. Record your results in the tables
10. Repeat for each type of liquid, recording your results as you go.
11. Record each groups results as they become available
12. Using the calculator, determine the mean distance and speed for each liquid.
***Remember to video and take pictures during your investigation for later use.