We Are Together Tamanend!
May 31, 2019
Tamanend Band Shines
On Monday, almost 150 Tamanend 7th, 8th, and 9th Grade Band students marched in the annual Doylestown Memorial Day Parade. The sun was shining and the sounds of our Nation’s service songs could be heard clearly throughout the streets of Doylestown. The band looked and sounded fantastic and the community surely appreciated all your hard work and dedication to performing at such a high level. All of the band students should be very proud of a job well done in the past two weeks! Mr. Werner was extremely proud to walk along side of you! Congratulations again; you made Tamanend truly shine!
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Upcoming Events at a Glance
Principal's Recognition Ceremony--Monday, June 3 @ 7:00 PM
Freshman Dance--Friday, June 7 @ 7:30 PM
Freshman Day--Wednesday, June 12
Talent Show--Thursday, June 13 during school day
Closing Ceremony--Friday, June 14 during school day
Last Day of School--Friday, June 14 (early dismissal)
Last Newsletter of 2018-2019--to be released Friday, June 14
Welcome Back Informational Newsletter for 2019-2020--to be released Friday, August 2
First Regular Newsletter for 2019-2020--to be released Friday, August 30
9th Graders Visit CB South for Move Up Day
9th Graders visited CB South for Move Up Day on Wednesday, May 29. Students learned about getting involved and preparing to have a positive and productive high school experience. As mentioned during the Move-Up Day presentation, any current 9th Grader interested in applying to be a part of the CB South Titan Senate next year should complete an application at the link below by June 14. Selected applicants will be contacted for interviews over the summer. Please contact Mr. Michael London at email@example.com with any questions.
Tamanend’s 2018-2019 yearbooks will be here soon! If you already pre-ordered your yearbook online through Jostens, it’ll be delivered to you in one of your classes on the distribution dates. If you forgot to order your yearbook, you’re in luck! There were extra copies mailed out for us to sell! The cost to purchase a yearbook is $45 (cash or check made out to Tamanend Middle School). Unfortunately, we do not do a reservation list for the extra copies, so please send in the payment with your child on the listed distribution date based on your child’s grade level. The following is the distribution plan:
-9th graders who pre-ordered their yearbooks will receive them in their Advisory period on Friday June 7th. Any 9th graders who wish to purchase a yearbook, sales will be out front of the library (iTeam table) during Advisory on June 7th.
-7th and 8th graders who preordered their yearbooks will receive them in their Advisory on Monday June 10th. Any 7th and 8th graders who wish to purchase a yearbook, sales will be out front of the library (iTeam table) during Advisory on June 10th.
-If you forget your payment on your grade-assigned sales day, do not worry because they will be sold all week long (June 10th-14th) in Mrs. Gerth’s room, 231!
Please email Mrs. Gerth, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions!
Tamanend Takes Top Honors at Annual Adjudication
Tamanend musicians represented our school very well last Friday, May 24th, on their annual adjudication trip. All five competing groups - String Ensemble, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band, Chieftain Chorus, and Gold’n’Blues - earned Superior ratings, the highest rating possible. Jazz Band and Gold’n’Blues were the highest scoring instrumental and choral groups out of all the groups at their level. Tamanend also won the following section awards: Best Jazz Band Rhythm Section, Brass Section, and Trombone Section; Best Chorus Tenor and Bass Section; Best Orchestra Cello Section; and Best Wind Ensemble Horn Section, Percussion Section, and Trombone Section. In addition, several Tamanend students were recognized for their individual contributions: Jazz solo awards went to Matt M., Leah M., Ryan D., and Joe S. Jerry Z. won the outstanding accompanist award for his work playing piano with both choruses. Congratulations to all for a job well done!
Reminder--Summer Reading/One School, One Book
Starting this summer, we will be engaging the Tamanend community in a One School, One Book program. A committee of teachers, librarians, and administrators worked for a year to choose a book that would appeal to our entire school community. We are pleased to announce that we will be reading Posted by John David Anderson. We encourage all of next year’s Tamanend students to read this book over the summer. The book is widely available online and through Central Bucks book fairs. If you are aware of a student who might have difficulty purchasing this book due to a financial hardship, please email Kristi Holloway at email@example.com so that we may obtain a copy for the student. Click here to watch a short video of the author of Posted speaking about this book. We are planning a variety of activities throughout the 19-20 school year to engage all members of the Tamanend community in discussions related to this book.
Tamanend Teachers Recognized by Central Bucks for Achievement
HELPUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Student Emergency & Information Form on Parent Portal to Open August 5
Each year, the Central Bucks School District requires our families to fill out a Student Emergency & Information Form. This year the Parent Portal will open on August 5th to the complete the form, which takes approximately 10 minutes to complete.
The online form will ask you to confirm and/or update the following:
- Demographic Information
- Emergency Contacts
- Health Information, including permission for emergency care and analgesic administration
- Media Release Preferences
Before summer break, please check to make sure that you have your username and password. If you do not have a Parent Portal account, please follow this link to request one. If you need help with your Parent Portal account, please contact your child’s school for assistance. Beginning August 5th, you may click here to be directed to your Parent Portal account to complete the Student Emergency & Information Form.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to update this important information!
Laptop Information for Current 7th and 8th Graders
All students will be responsible for their laptops for the duration of the 3-year lease. All current 7th & 8th grade students will take their laptops home for the summer. Before the school year ends, please encourage your children to make sure their charger, laptop, and pen are working. All repairs are covered under our user agreement. Students should place a ticket to repair equipment before summer break.
Below is a list of Q & A’s to help explain the process:
- What should my child take home on the last day of school?
- All students need to take home their laptop, bag, charger, and pen. We do not have an option for students that want to leave the device at school.
- What if my child is not returning to CBSD in 2019-20?
- Any student who is not returning to Central Bucks next year will need to turn his or her laptop in on the last day of school.
- What if the laptop breaks over the summer?
- Students can drop the laptop off at Tamanend's Main Office Mondays through Thursdays, 9am-3pm for service.
- Will my child receive a loaner device if it breaks over the summer?
- No loaners will be given out over the summer. Students will receive an email when the device is repaired. Pick-up will be in the Main Office.
- Do I have to do anything with the laptop over the summer?
- Yes, laptops need to be turned on at least once during both July and August to receive necessary updates. This is very important so that the laptop will work on the first day of school. It is suggested to turn on the laptops on July 15th and August 15th if it is not being used regularly.
- Please refer to our laptop agreement for guidelines. A reminder that leaving laptops in heat and near sand or water could damage the device beyond repair.
- What does my child need for the first day of school?
- Each student should be prepared for the first day of school with a fully-charged laptop, charger, pen and bag.
- Is there a usage fee for the 2019-20 school year?
- Families will be asked to pay a usage fee for the device of $50 per student per year. This fee will cover breaks, repairs and other services. This year, the payment process will begin on August 5th using My Payments Plus. More information will be sent out in July. Financial assistance with this fee is available for any family facing a financial need. Please contact Dr. Brian Caughie at firstname.lastname@example.org after August 5th if you need assistance with this fee.
- How do I learn more about the 1:1 Initiative?
- This is our current FAQ. We will continue to update this throughout the summer. If there is a question that you do not see, please email us at email@example.com. This account is monitored weekly.
Reminder--Student Assistance Program (SAP)
The Student Assistance Program (SAP) has been established in schools throughout Pennsylvania. SAP Programs provide schools with the means to identify, refer, and support students who are exhibiting behavioral, academic, or attendance issues that put them at risk. Tamanend has a team of dedicated school personnel who are trained to assist students, faculty and family members in identifying problems that impact the student’s ability to function in school. The team can also offer students and their families resources to assist them in alleviating these problems. For more information about the SAP Program, please click here. To complete a SAP referral form for a Tamanend student, please click here.
Athletic Department News
- Good luck to the 8th Grade Baseball team in their postseason championship game!
- CONGRATULATIONS to the 8th Grade Girls Soccer team on winning the Central Bucks postseason championship!
Any current 8th or 9th Graders participating in CB South’s Football mini-camp next week must see Mr. Klein for a permission slip to ride the South shuttle after school.
- In order for students to participate (tryouts and/or practice), Family ID and PIAA physicals MUST be completed. Students who do not take care of all items are not permitted to play.
- Registration on Family ID will open by the end of June for all of next school year’s 7th and 8th Grade students who are interested in playing a Fall sport for Tamanend.
- PIAA physicals for the 2019-2020 school year must be dated after June 1, 2019 and submitted to Mr. Klein. Only sections 5 and 6 need to be completed and submitted. (All items in Sections 1-4 are addressed in Family ID.)
FROM CB SOUTH:
- If you could not attend the concussion presentation/ImPact testing for all students trying out for Fall sports at CB South on Monday, May 13th, the make-up date is Tuesday, June 11th at 3:00 in the Cafeteria. If you are planning to take the CB South shuttle that day, you must register with Mr. Klein in order to take the bus. Students must be picked up by parents at CB South.
- Family ID will open June 3rd for CB South Fall sports registration.
- CB South Girls Basketball open gyms are held Tuesdays from 6:30-8:30 and Wednesdays from 2:30-4:00.
- CB South Girls Volleyball open gyms are held Wednesdays in the Aux Gym from 7:00 to 9:00.
- CB South Boys Basketball open gyms will be held Mondays 6:30-8:00 and Thursdays from 3:00 to 4:30, through June 6th.
- All open gyms are weather dependent. Announcements will be made for cancellations.
UPCOMING SOUTHSIDE EVENTS
CB South Mock Trial Summer Camp
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
CB Farmer's Market--June 6 at Barclay Elementary
District Art Show--May 31 Through June 2 at CB West
Joe Ramos' Break the Silence Community Picnic--July 27
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Reminder--Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Parent Volunteers Needed for the Freshman Dance
Parent volunteers are needed for the Freshman Dance. Although the dance is for 9th Graders, parents of students in all grades are welcome to help. If you are interested in volunteering, please use the link below:
Please Consider Volunteering at Tamanend Middle School
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900