1st Grade News: May 2-6
May 9th- 11th- STAAR TESTING- ***NO VISITORS or VOLUNTEERS***
1st grade LUNCH will be at 1:15 on the 9th and 10th-- BRING A BIG MORNING SNACK!
May 13th - Field Day (8:45 - 10:45 - K-2) (12:15 - 2:15 3-5) School wide picnic 11am-12pm
***Please, please make sure your child is reading every night!***
1. Read nightly and record books in homework journal. Be sure you are reading book baggie books several times to practice fluency.
2. 1 reading response a week needs to be completed in the homework journal. **Responses can be completed using ANY book, not just from the book baggie.
Reading responses should be completed using complete sentences with correct capitalization and punctuation.**
3. Practice reading and spelling list in book baggies
4. Xtramath.org at least twice a week to practice fact fluency.
5. iStation 30 minutes a week
6. Return book baggie with books and journal to school everyday.
What are we learning?
Focus: Non-fiction Elements
I can identify elements of non-fictions animal text by filling in a graphic organizer.
I can perform a reader's theater by reading it to a small group.
I can explain the importance of Mother's Day by reading Mother's Day literature.
Word Work & Grammar:
Focus: Homographs - words that look the same but mean something different
I can identify a homograph and know the meanings when reading them in a sentence.
Focus: Non-fiction Text
I can research an animal by using Non-Fiction Text and write an animal research paper.
I can demonstrate the appreciation for Mother's Day by writing a Mother's Day poem.
I can learn how to tell time to the hour and half hour by writing about it in my math journal.
Focus: Living and Nonliving Things
I can sort and classify living and nonliving things.
I can identify that living things include plants or animals that are currently living and those that were once alive and are now dead.
I can demonstrate understanding by responding to questions using sentence stems when discussing living and nonliving things.