Does Down Syndrome have an impact on an individual's life?
Yes, the average life expectancy of individuals with Down Syndrome is about 60 years, though some live on to later 70s
the picture to the side is a photograph of Bert Holbrook who lived to be the oldest man with down syndrome with a world record of 80 years!
What are the symptoms, side effects, or harms Down Syndrome causes to the human body?
- About half of babies with Down Syndrome have heart defects. Some are minor but others may require surgery.
- Some babies with Down Syndrome are born with intestinal malformations that require surgery.
- Children with Down Syndrome have an increased risk of visual impairment (i.e. crossed eyes, near/farsightedness, and cataracts.
- Children with Down Syndrome may have hearing loss because of fluid in the middle ear, a nerve defect, or both.
- They also have an increased risk for thyroid problems and Leukemia.
What are some of the existing support groups?
kids with down syndrome can do the same things that kids without it too.
animals can have down syndrome too!
just because of some disease some may have, does not mean they are held back from success.