Common Names For Sodium Nitrate
- Chile Saltpeter
- Peru Saltpeter
Common Uses of Sodium Nitrate
- Meat preservative
Properties of Sodium Nitrate
- Has a density of 2.26 g/cm3
- Odorless & has a bitter taste
- Boiling point - 716F Melting point - 586.4F
More Facts About Sodium Nitrate
- Some studies have shown there is an increase chance of cancer by eating large amounts of food with sodium nitrate
- The largest concentration of sodium nitrate is found in the ground of deserts in South American countries, Chile and Peru
- Sodium nitrate can also be made in a lab
This is sodium nitrate in its chemical form.
Sodium nitrate is a common food preservative in meats.
Sodium nitrate is used to make a yellow color in fireworks.