Flores Class Chronicle - Week 21
Please take a moment to read this memo (it can get lengthy) each week. This is where we will post all the important dates and events to keep up with.
The weekly newsletters may also be found archived on our class website under the "Weekly Newsletters" page. Questions and/or comments? Please let me know!
For the love of learning,
VALENTINE'S ICE CREAM SOCIAL - THIS FRIDAY, FEB. 12 - 1:15 - 2:15
Our annual Valentine's / Friendship Ice Cream Social is coming up this Friday, February 12th from 1:15 - 2:15. We'll exchange Valentine's cards with our homeroom classmates and enjoy ice cream sundaes.
Students may decorate a container to collect their Valentines in, or we will have paper bags here in the classroom they may use. They may bring containers in anytime next week and we'll keep them in the classroom until the social on Friday. Students will vote for the most creative, best use of recycled material, funniest and most Valentine's related.
A list of first names was sent with the newsletter email to assist students with their Valentine's card preparation. Please keep in mind that while we remember our first crushes fondly and all the butterflies and jitters that came with them, that any cards exchanged at school should be given in friendship only...and yes, this is the year we get to begin setting that expectation with our students :).
Many of you have signed up to help provide supplies for the ice cream sundaes. Your donations may be sent in at any time.
While you as parents are always welcome in our classroom, parking will be extremely challenging that afternoon with the majority of the class parties throughout the school happening about that time. Our time together will be more of a social/hangout time, rather than a programmed party atmosphere that requires multiple volunteers.
Thanks for your support with making this a fun afternoon for our students! We appreciate you!!
Current Week's Schedule of Events
The Week Ahead
Please Review Our Class Special's Schedule for your Student's Rotation Day. (https://sites.google.com/a/leanderisd.org/mrs-flores/class-schedule
- Yellow Specials Day
- Green Specials Day
- Blue Specials Day
- Purple Specials Day
- Science Vocabulary quiz
- Red Specials Day
- Valentine's Day Social
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- expository organization review
- grammar review: complete sentences, subject / verb agreement, capitalization & punctuation
- complete Spanish Missions
- Rubi Report
- begin Austin Colony
- measurements continued
- stem and leaf plots
- Greek & Latin roots
- Sitton List 19 Core Words - heavy, carefully, follow, beautiful, everyone
- for extended list, see below
- The Rock Cycle: weathering, erosion, deposition
- Vocabulary Quiz - 2/11
HOMEWORK is posted each Monday and the due date is posted on Google Classroom.
Below you will find upcoming dates for the first semester. Please update your calendars accordingly. Please understand that dates are subject to change and more than likely will, but we will keep this list current to the best of our ability. To assist you in keeping your calendars updated, any additions or changes from the previous week's memo will be in bold.
- Friday 2/12 @1:15 Valentine's Sundae Social
- Wednesday 2/17 - progress reports sent home ONLY for students with a grade >70% in any subject
- Saturday 2/20 - Faculty Follies
- Wednesday 3/2 - TX Independence Day - Dress like a Texan in 4th
- Sunday 3/13 - Daylight Savings Time - SPRING FORWARD!
- Monday 3/14 - Friday 3/18 - NO SCHOOL - Spring Break
- Friday 3/25 - NO SCHOOL - Good Friday
- Tuesday 3/29 - 4th Grade Writing STAAR Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Friday 4/1 - End of the 3rd 9 weeks
- Friday 4/1 - First Fun Friday in 4th Grade - Illuminocity Atrocity - Dress in BRIGHT or NEON colors!
- Monday 4/4 - Stephanie Beasley's 29th birthday
- Wednesday 4/6 - report cards sent home
- 4/22 - Earth Day
- Monday 4/25 - Bad Weather Make-Up Day (holidays unless the assigned day is needed due to bad weather, which will be communicated in advance)
- Wednesday 5/4 - progress reports sent home ONLY for students with a grade >70% in any subject
- Friday 5/6 - Fun First Friday in 4th Grade - Dress like a STAR! (music, sport, TV - school dress code compliant, please :)
- Monday 5/9 - 3rd & 4th Grade STAAR Math Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Tuesday 5/10 - 3rd & 4th Grade STAAR Reading Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Monday 5/24 - Bad Weather Make-Up Day (holidays unless the assigned day is needed due to bad weather, which will be communicated in advance)
- Monday 5/30 - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
- Friday 6/3 End of 4th 9 weeks - report cards sent home & Last Day of School - Have a GREAT summer!