By: Ashrith Reddy
- Election of 1952
- Ran with Richard Nixon
- Democrat opponent was Adlai E. Stevenson
- Used television for publicity
- Eisenhower had 33,936,234 votes compared to Stevenson with 27,314,992 votes.
- 442 -89 electoral votes
- Election of 1956
- Similar to Election of 1952
- Eisenhower was in very poor health
- Ran against Adlai Stevenson (Democrat) again
- Won both by landslides.
The Cold War: A period of non violent hostility between nations which took 40 years and involved competitions and threats.
- 1959,Fidel Castro overthrew the American supported Cuban government
- American U-2 spy plane shot down in Russia in 1960
- Lebanon asking for aid for communist threat.
- Senator accused Dean Acheson of employing 205 communist members.
- Removed from the Senate after attacked the US army
- Gained public support
- Suspicion and paranoia in the air
Segregation in South
- Rosa Parks was arrested for sitting in the "White only" section of a bus
- Led to the Montgomery Bus boycott.
- Brown v. Board of Education segregation was unequal
- criticized by many
- Faubus, governor of Arkansas, attempted to prevent enrollment of childrenat Little Rock's Central High School
- Eisenhower sent federal troops in order to escort nine black students
- Civil Rights Act of 1957 set up a Civil rights comission to protect and investigate violations of civil rights.
- Usually liberal but conservative with economic policies.
- Sent a million illegal immigrants back to Mexico(Operation Wetback)
- State control over oil rigs offshore
- North Vs. South/ Communits Ho Chi Minh vs. democracy leader Ngo Dinh Diem
- French Garrison Dienbienphu gets trapped
- US aids South Vietnam t combat communists.
- Soviet first to launch Sputnik on October 4, 1957, a satellite into space
- Competition between USSR and USA to go into space
- National Defense and Education Act (NDEA) is created to increase education.
- Eisenhower creates the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).