September 10, 2021
Winchester Purpose & Mission
Winchester is a Leader in Me school with a common purpose to inspire students to be critical thinkers and problem-solvers who demonstrate responsibility for themselves and respect for others.
Learning together, Leading forever!
A Message from Mrs. Lindsay
What an amazing start to the school year! It is wonderful to see the building come alive again with students! We have had a great week of reacclimating to school, learning about the 7 Habits and our building-wide expectations, while getting to know our teachers and making new friends.
We continue to get closer to the finish line with all of the finishes in the building and are looking forward to having the construction project complete!
The entire Winchester staff is incredibly appreciative for all of the delicious treats and snacks you showered us with this week!
We are looking forward to seeing you at Open House next week. Please see the schedule below with dates and times.
P.S. Below is a sneak peek of some of the work that has been going on if you missed it in last week's newsletter!
Winchester Return to school plan for families
COVID Safety and Mitigation Plans
As we come together in learning this year, it is important to remember to perform at-home self-monitoring using the COVID-19 Daily Student Symptom Screening Tool. This screener serves as a daily reminder that children who are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 (or ANY illness) need to stay home from school. This is an important measure that will help prevent or reduce the spread of COVID-19 in our schools. We appreciate everyone’s cooperation in using this screener each school day. In addition to the daily screener students and staff are required to wear masks while indoors.
Open House and New Family Orientation Information
Monday, September 13, 2021
- Kindergarten, 1st Grade, and 2nd Grade
- 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM
- New Family Orientation 5:00-5:30 PM
Tuesday, September 14, 2021
- 3rd Grade, 4th Grade, and 5th Grade
- 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM
- New Family Orientation 5:00 -5:30 PM
The purpose of these events is to welcome students and families into our buildings. Classroom visits are informal. The New Family Orientation will include a brief presentation as well as time for questions. If you are not attending the New Family Orientation you are welcome to come anytime between 5:00 and 6:30 to meet your child's teacher and see the classroom.
Become a Member of the PTA
Welcome Students, Families, and Staff! We are excited to begin the 2021-2022 school year and are already hard at work planning activities for our students and families to enjoy. Our Winchester PTA mission is to support and lead parent, teacher, and student efforts toward the best educational experience possible. We coordinate student enrichment activities and social events that enhance our students’ school life and bring the Winchester community together.
What does the Winchester PTA provide?
● Family programs and Community events
● Junior Enrichment Series (enriching and interactive presentations during the school day)
● Teacher stipends to enhance classrooms and lessons
● Field Day, March is Reading Month, Book Fair
● Student directory (only available with PTA membership)
How do we raise money for this?
Invest in Your Child is a donation to the Winchester PTA, which gives you the opportunity to support our students and staff directly. Through the generous donations of our Winchester families, we can provide a variety of enrichment programs, activities, and family-centered opportunities.
How can I get involved?
● Please join our Welcome Back PTA meeting on September 10th at 9:00 AM where you will hear from our Winchester Principal and PTA officers. This is a great way to learn about the different committees and ways the PTA supports our Winchester community.
● Visit https://winchesterpta.memberhub.com/store, where you can purchase a PTA membership and donate to the Winchester PTA Invest in Your Child fundraiser (bundled and non-bundled options are available) as well as purchase a 2021-22 yearbook. PTA membership includes access to a student directory and voting privileges in the Winchester PTA.
● Check out our Winchester PTA website for more information on our organization and the ways you can get involved.
The PTA runs on the volunteer energy of our families, and we would love to have you join us! We have opportunities to match with your interests, talents, and time. It takes an entire community of volunteers to pull off this magic! If you have any questions, please reach out to Stephanie Smith, PTA President, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winchester Elementary Spirit Wear
Every Friday is Winchester Spirit Day. Show your Winchester pride by wearing your favorite Winchester shirt!
If you would like to purchase Winchester spirit wear, you can now purchase your items online in 3 easy steps:
1. Scan the QR code or go online to https://winchesterelementary2021.itemorder.com/
2. Choose your items and add them to your cart
3. Securely checkout with your credit card
Online Store Deadline: Thursday, September 30th, 2021 (11:59pm EDT)
Suggested School Supplies
Please see the link below for our suggested school supplies. The supply lists are simply suggestions of helpful items and are strictly voluntary, as we provide the necessary supplies and materials for your child’s successful school experience.
Order your Winchester Elementary Yearbook in our PTA Store! Please order by December 31st to help us accurately determine the full order quantity. Yearbooks are $17 each (includes shipping to the school and MI sales tax). If you’d like to help build our yearbook, please contact the PTA Yearbook Committee at email@example.com.
Submit Pictures for Yearbook
Please submit First Day of School pictures by September 30th for yearbook inclusion! The attached file provides details of how to submit pictures at www.images.balfour.com or using the Balfour ImageShare app. Images must be high-resolution .jpg or .png format. (Please see pdf attachment below with instructions)
The Yearbook Committee will review all photos and determine final yearbook content. We cannot guarantee that all submissions can be used (for example, low picture quality), but we do make every effort to utilize all images. We need and appreciate all picture submissions as these make up a large part of our yearbook each year! Please submit only high-resolution photos that are school related activities/clubs.
Nuts About Science is Back!
This is an after school science program. The first session is 7 classes, and meets every Wednesdays from Sept 29 thru Nov 10th, 3:45-5:00. All grades are welcomed! Classes are divided k-1st grade and 2nd-5th grade. Registration starts September 7th at 8:00am and closes Sept 20th at 11pm. Spaces are limited and fills up quickly!! For more information visit www.nutsaboutscience.com. For questions contact Sarah Beydoun firstname.lastname@example.org
School lunch if free for all students for the 2021-22 school year!
Families must preorder lunches for preschools and elementary students. Orders must be in by 8:30 AM for elementary students to receive a lunch that day. The system will not allow you to order after the time listed above. For your convenience, meals can be preordered up to 30 days in advance. To avoid any issues, we recommend ordering the night before.
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures - Please Watch
For the safety of our students we need to bring awareness to the proper use or "etiquette" of the carpool drop off lane. Parents it is for everyone's benefit that we need everyone to follow these instructions. Also, please do not get upset when staff enforce carpool etiquette.
- Pull ALL THE WAY forward to the front of the carpool lane before dropping children off or picking children up.
- Try to stay BUMPER TO BUMPER in the carpool lane, don’t leave space between cars
- Drop off all children at one time.
*Important! When parking and walking up to the building, use the crosswalk near the front entrance to cross.
Cub Scouting is fun for the whole family. It’s hands-on learning and achievement that puts kids in the middle of the action and prepares them for today – and for life.
Anyone interested in Cub Scouts please send an email to: email@example.com.
Calling all girls interested in Girl Scouts!
We will be meeting on the Winchester Kindergarten Playground
Wednesday, September 15th at 6 PM
Come & get more information, as well as speak to current scouts.
We can not wait to meet you!
Please contact Laura Paredes with any questions firstname.lastname@example.org
Northville Youth Network (NYN)
Northville Youth Network (NYN) provides valuable programs and services to the Northville Community such as education and awareness, referral services and case work services. As part of the ongoing Social Emotional education NYN provides to our community, they have included resources that are available for parents! Please check out NYN's Mindfulness and Resilience resource templates as well as all of their other offerings! Be sure to check back in the future as their templates will be updated throughout the year (https://www.twp.northville.mi.us/your_government/departments/NYN)
Northville Public Schools is hiring the following part-time positions:
- Food Service Assistant: Please visit www.northvilleschools.org click on the "Employment Tab" and select "Current Job Openings" for more information.
- Lunch/Recess Monitor: Please contact the school principal for more information.
- Substitute Teachers, Paraprofessionals, Para Educators: Substitute employment opportunities can be found through educational placement services at EDUStaff. Northville Public Schools uses this service for placement of teachers, K-12 Paraprofessionals, Para Educators and Office Support. If you are interested in becoming a Substitute, please visit www.edustaff.org/ or call (877)974-6338 for more information.