Tips for Year 7 to help keep clear of bullying
Types of Bullying
Cyber - Cyber bullying is being bullied through social media or via an electronic device
Social - Social bullying is being ignored, left out or having rumors spread about you
Physical - Physical bullying is being pushed, hit, punched or hurt
Verbal - Verbal bullying consistent teasing, name calling, rude comments or rude gestures
- Psychological - Psychological bullying is being stared at, stalked or made to feel intimidated or uncomfortable.
The effects of bullying on an adolescents mental, physical and social health
Bullying can effect an adolescents mental health because it can make them think that they aren't worth anything anymore and that puts a negative effect on the future way that they live.
EFFECT ON PHYSICAL HEALTH:
Bullying can affect your physical health because it can make you feel negative about yourself which can make you physically injure yourself. Also not thinking you're worthy can make you physically stay away from everyone and avoid any required help.
EFFECT ON SOCIAL HEALTH:
Bullying can affect your social health because it can make you think negative toward anyone that wants to be your friend cause u might think that they are setting you up to bully you again. Also if you get bullied the bully can point out negative things about the victim and why people shouldn't be your friend.
STRATEGIES FOR COPING WITH BULLYING
- Using SEAL: Stop & breath, Explain, Affirm & Acknowledge, Lock
- Talking to someone whether it's a teacher, parent, adult or school counsellor at least try talking to someone you trust that can help you.
- Ignore the bully. Walk away as if nothing is happening & the bully may realise it doesn't effect you.
- Be confident & tell the bully to calm down or tell the to stop
- If the bully follows you go towards an adult around you
HOW TO USE S.E.A.L.
THE E IN SEAL IS FOR: Explain how you are feeling. Use 'I' statements to explain ex: 'I feel...' 'I want..' 'I think...' 'I believe...'
THE A IN SEAL IS FOR: Affirm & acknowledge. What rights do you have in this? Do you have a role in the conflict? Does the other person?
THE L IN SEAL STANDS FOR: Lock meaning lock the friendship & decide what will happen, are you going to be friends (lock in), are you going to stop the friendship (lock out) or are you going to take a vacation (have a break from the friendship).
WEBSITE FOR STUDENT USE
This website is useful because:
- Safe government website
- It includes information about: bullying, someone to talk to, what to do when you are bullied
- It is a fun website and you can learn a lot.