Findley Elementary School
March 1, 2019
Kindy Registration Now Open
Please go to the Findley website and click on register online. Be sure to choose school year 2019-2020 to get started.
Kindy roundup is April 4 - 4:30. Please register prior to roundup.
Congratulations OBOB winners
Congratulations to all of the Findley Battle of the Books teams. We had 57 teams participate this year; what an amazing group of readers you all are! Please help us congratulate the Terrific 4! of 4th grade and cheer them on for their region battles on Saturday, March 9th at St. Helens High School. We look forward to congratulating everyone again at our ice cream party on Thursday, March 14th during lunch. We hope you have found some new authors, genres, and series to dig into for the rest of the year! Happy Reading!
~Mrs. Bauck, Mrs. Vennes, Mr. Temple-Morris
Staff Appreciation Potluck
Findley Families are AWESOME! Thank You!!!
The teachers & staff LOVED the potluck lunch!
Thank you so much to all the volunteers that brought in the delicious food. So wonderful of you!!!
Flu Season Reminders
We've seen quite an increase in sick kiddos, we want to make sure we're all doing what we can to keep from getting sick or spreading more illness. Here are some tips to follow:
- Hand Washing- The single most important thing you can do to prevent illness! I know the weather is causing dry skin but it's better than being sick. Before touching your face, eating, preparing food and after all the normal things...wash your hands (it's even better than hand sanitizer)! Good hand washing means you scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds before rinsing. Sing your favorite song while you scrub and you'll have clean hands and a smile on your face.
- Cleaning Surfaces- Now is a great time to increase wiping down the high touch surfaces. If you don't have antibacterial wipes even water (with/without soap) with friction is better than nothing.
- Cough/Sneeze Etiquette- The correct way to cover your cough or sneeze is into your elbow. It's hard to change old habits or teach new ones, but try to model correct behavior. If someone sneezes or coughs into their hand ask them to wash their hands! It may feel uncomfortable, but it will make a difference in keeping us healthy.
- Too Sick for School- Follow too sick for school guidelines (see attached).
If you've read this far, thank you and congratulations you will have a better chance of not getting sick! A couple more pieces of information.
Community Service Project by a former student.
Hello, my name is Leah Gulick.
As an 8th grader at Rachel Carson School of Environmental Science, I am reaching out to inform you about the homeless crisis in Portland. There are almost 23,000 homeless students in Oregon, with 1,500 of those students here in the Beaverton School District. I believe that our community is able to make a difference in these people’s lives, starting here at Findley Elementary.
As a former student at Findley, I was inspired by events such as the canned food drive and holiday gift donations. Our community is so able and willing to help make a change.That is why I am holding a dollar drive this coming week (March 4-11). From Monday to Friday, students and families can bring in donations to help those facing difficult times. Donations directly support the Blanchet House, a recovery shelter which offers free meals 3 times a day, 6 days a week.
If every student brings $1, we could feed 2,400 people. Please consider helping those in need. Donations can be dropped off in student’s classrooms or in the office.
Marker & Crayon Recycling
We will be starting a new program at Findley in conjunction with Crayola. It’s called Crayola ColorCycle – it's devised to repurpose used markers rather than sending them to landfills!
The ColorCycle program has repurposed more than 70 tons of expended markers in the United States and Canada since 2013, and uses the most advanced plastic conversion technologies available today to make wax compounds for asphalt and roofing shingles as well as to generate electricity that can be used to heat homes, cook food, and power vehicles.
Students and teachers are encouraged to collect used markers that are ready to be discarded. Please help support our efforts by sending your kids in with any used markers you may have around the house- even non-Crayola brands! Highlighters and dry erase markers can also be included. A drop-off box will be located in the Findley lobby to deposit the markers.
With the help of parents like you across the country, the Crayola ColorCycle program can continue to keep tons of plastic out of landfills each year.
5th Annual Findley Family Bingo Night
Our 5th Annual Bingo Night was a success! Many families came out to enjoy the evening and tried their luck at Bingo. Congratulations to our 7 lucky line winners who won $5 gift certificates to the Findley Book Fair. Our Blackout winners, Chelsie & John, won a $25 gift certificate each to the Findley Book Fair!
Thank you, Cub Scouts, for providing warm pizza on a cold and rainy night. All the proceedings from the pizza sale will benefit the Cub Scout Pack 718 serving Findley/Cedar Mill area.
A special shout out to Dr. Marsh and Ms. Johnson for calling the Bingo numbers in English and Spanish! Thank you, Findley community for another awesome Bingo Night!!!
2019 Carnival Dads looking for help!
Save the Date! Findley Carnival is June 7th!!!
The 2019 Findley Carnival is Friday, June 7th! The Carny Dads have started to meet and are looking for more Dads who want to join this exciting group of dedicated "Fathers of Dragons” in planning out the event and generally volunteering their time in the buildup to the date. Our next meeting is Wednesday, March 20th at 8:30pm at the Bethany Public House Banquet Room. If you have any questions, please send a note to Kevin Mullen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Findley Science Fair – March 13th
● use math or science at work, or have a science-related job?
● work in medicine, dentistry, engineering, biotechnology, energy, or other science-related field?
● design shoes, use specially treated fabric, make computer chips or semiconductors, or work in a laboratory?
● have a science or engineering-related hobby
● If so, we hope you'll volunteer as a guest exhibitor at the Findley Science Fair and share how science or engineering is used in your field.
Bring something the kids can see or touch, and yourself, for a demonstration or hands-on exhibit.
Wednesday, March 13, 2019 Set-up 5:30 pm
Exhibit 6-8 pm
Sign up to volunteer!
Contact Kristin Vande Zandschulp at email@example.com
Thank you for your help making the Science Fair a great learning experience for our students.
Findley Art Lit
During February and March in Art Lit, Findley students are learning about the art of handmade textiles from Africa.
Students are looking at textile examples from a variety of African regions, exhibiting different line designs, symbolism and patterning in their fabrics. After learning about some of these African textiles, students will create their own designs on fabric, using a variety of lines to develop patterning. To complete their textile project, students will paint a colorful wash on their fabric.
Make sure to celebrate these detailed and unique textile projects!
Thank you for supporting Findley Art Literacy!
Findley Flyer Needs Volunteers!!!
Findley Flyers is a running/walking club that takes place during recess on Tuesdays and Thursdays before school at 8am.
If your child is interested in participating, just tell them to come find us on the playground at recess or Thursday morning before school out on the track. Every student has a running card ready to go and they can run or walk as much as they choose - earning prizes along the way and learning that exercise can be fun! It encourages kids to be physically fit and work towards goals. You don’t need to be a runner to volunteer. There are a lot of ways you can help out.
· Volunteering - It's fun & easy; help students find cards, mark cards for completed laps, hand out prizes and cheer on students!
· Sign up on the link provided so we can see that we have enough volunteers and notify you in case we need to cancel due to weather: http://signup.com/go/5XxkNg
· Sign in on the mVP time clock in the front office, grab your Photo ID Badge and meet us at the Findley Playground.
Tuesday Volunteer Times:
K - 1st 10:15 am - 11:10 am
2nd - 3rd 11:10 am - 12:05 pm
4th - 5th 12:00 pm - 12:55 pm
Save the Date! Findley PTO General Meeting Dates
PTO General Meetings (Findley Library) – Presentations and staff updates. Open to all interested parents!
* Monday, May 20 - 7pm