SCCS Home Bulletin
May 26, 2021
We have VERY EXCITING news to share! This was announced in the Storyline Celebration video...but you have to watch to the very end to see it!
As of Monday, May 24, 2021, God has provided through His people ALL that we need to COMPLETE the funding on the biggest building project in our school's history! We PRAISE GOD for His Hand on the building project and we THANK ALL our supporters for your GENEROSITY over the past eight years ... giving a total of $6.8 million toward the building expansion!!
Our building isn't just bricks and mortar...it's the headquarters of God's mission through SCCS and we are daily blessed to train God's treasures within these walls! Click on the link for some pictures to help remember what things looked like during construction seven years ago! (we broke ground on April 25, 2014, construction was
completed the summer of 2015)
SPRING CHORAL & INSTRUMENTAL CONCERT
Here is the link to the recording of the Spring Choral & Instrumental Concert on May 20:
There are also some individual song recordings on the same web page if you just want to hear a few highlights.
We'd like to give a shout out to all the students who sang and played!! You truly praised God and blessed His people with your music! Also a shout out to Mrs. Friend and Mr. Kuipers...fantastic music, dynamite teachers...glory to God!
8TH GRADE GRADUATION
Wednesday, May 26: Sioux Center Christian School’s 8th grade graduation will be held at First Reformed Church at 7:00 pm. A link to a recording of graduation will be available the following week at www.siouxcenterchristian.com.
We thank the following faculty and staff for their years of service at SCCS. We wish them the best as they continue to serve in other places.
Linda Feekes - 3rd grade
Peter Kuipers - music
Mark Barrow - 7/8 math
Ally Veldhuisen - 6/7 social studies & Bible
Shelley Gesink - PE teacher & paraprofessional
Sarah Hawley - behavior specialist
Payton Hostetler - behavior interventionist
Michaela Workman - paraprofessional
Timae Saavedra - paraprofessional
Tami Koelewyn - paraprofessional
Tammy Zevenbergen - paraprofessional
Bethany Bosma - Outlet 75 assistant manager
Mike Kooistra - cook
Next year we welcome the following teachers to SCCS:
Anna Bootsma - 3rd grade
Allegra Fisher - music
Angela Veenstra - 7/8 math
Nate Breen - 6/7 social studies and Bible
We will announce new staff members at a later time.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
- Please check the online calendar for upcoming events (http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/calendar.cfm
- For all current students, we will once again be doing continuous enrollment. If your child will not be returning to SCCS, please let us know as we are working on class lists for next year. If you have any updates to your contact information (address, phone, email, church membership, etc.), please make the changes in the parent portal or let the office know (email@example.com).
- Busing for Wednesday, May 26: We will dismiss at 11:05 today. All buses will be running using the the Monday/Tuesday/Thursday routes.
LOST AND FOUND
Lost and found will be available in the front entry until June 11. There are lots of items that have been lost – so come and check it out. Thank you!
PACE COMMITTEE SIGN-UP
As parents, we are all a part of PACE and have the privilege of coming together to fellowship with one another, serve together, and help provide for our school. This was the last year for many previous PACE committees, leaving room for exciting new opportunities coming this next school year! The Boys Basketball Tournament finished strong this year raising over $10K! These funds helped contribute to provide for additional flex seating, storyline shirts for the students, and additional faculty purchases. We would like to thank all of our parent volunteers and committee members for all of your hard work and making 20/21 another great year!
PACE is excited to announce a new committee starting in the 2022 school year designed to bring families together! This is a great chance for families within each grade to get to know one another on a smaller scale. Examples include a day at the park, ice skating, a bonfire, or even Fields of Fun! For more information, see the committee sign-up sheet.
The PACE Committee Sign-Up Sheet link for the 21/22 school year will remain active until July 1st. Any positions not filled by July 1st will be assigned. Every family at SCCS is a member of PACE and will be eligible for these unfilled positions. Thank you all for your willingness to serve.
Click on the following link for the PACE Committee Sign-Up Sheet: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12JshraOpBASXL_QvbkqH0ga4nNxVV7u7/edit
Saturday, June 5: Come to the Sioux Center Fire Station 1 between 8-10am for a Summer Celebration Pancake Breakfast. Freewill donations will be received for the breakfast and all proceeds will be shared between Sioux Center Christian School and Sioux Center Public School (plus both schools will have faculty and staff working at the breakfast!). We hope to see you there!
COOK POSITION OPENING: The Sioux Center Christian School lunch program is looking to fill the position of cook. We are looking for a hardworking, dependable, detail-oriented person to serve in this position, with hours between 7:30 AM to 1:30 PM three-five days per week. Responsibilities include prepping and serving meals, cleaning, and other kitchen tasks. Additional days would also be available for applicants interested. We invite you to join our fast-paced, fun work environment! To apply, complete and send in the staff application and resume to Josh Bowar, head of school, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The application is available on the school website at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/about/employment.cfm A review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
- Outlet 75, the store that supports the mission of Sioux Center Christian School, is seeking to fill the position of Assistant Manager. This individual will be responsible for providing a welcoming and friendly atmosphere in the store, implementing store policies, organizing inventory, pricing and displaying items, operating the register, processing returns, assisting with volunteers, and taking pictures of and marketing the store on Instagram. The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, customer-focused, and flexible. This salaried position involves a 7-hour shift on Wednesdays plus up to an additional hour each week for marketing tasks, and 1 Saturday shift for 3 hours every 3 months. Interested applicants should complete the Staff Application Package located on www.siouxcenterchristian.com/about/employment.cfm and send to Josh Bowar, head of school, email@example.com. A review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
You may still purchase Truth T-shirts! Check out what’s left in the school main entrance (8am-4pm) - $25 for one shirt, $20 each if you purchase two or more!
Sioux Center Christian School offers a play-based, child-care opportunity for 4-years-olds enrolled in preschool called 4Care.
If you have a child who will be in preschool next year and are looking for childcare for the other half of their days, this is a great place for your child to enjoy hands-on, child-led, play-based learning at SCCS when preschool is not in session.
To learn more about 4Care and to reserve your child’s place, go to https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/admissions/4care.cfm
Tales and Trails Summer Camp
It’s time to think about summer and what your kids will be doing while you’re at work.
This is the 3rd year we are offering Tales and Trails Summer Camp – an educational and FUN summer supervision option for your kids! With exciting weekly themes, such as Cool Chemistry, Wild West, and Fabulous Flight, Tales and Trails offers ten weeks of active and engaging experiences for kids. Half-day and full-day options are available, plus parents can choose the weeks their child will attend.
Summer Camp is open to any children of the community who are 5-11 years of age by June 1. Share the info with your friends and neighbors and let them know they may now register. Forms are available outside the TRIP office or online: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/parents/talestrails.cfm
- The Office Handouts is the place to check regularly for camp information, registration forms, and more! Currently there is information for:
The Book Bank Summer Programs in Maurice
Moped Safety Class
Sioux Center Youth Padded Football
Dordt Women's Basketball Youth Camp (Grades 4-9)
Unity Christian Jr. Knights Basketball Challenge (5th-8th boys)
Sioux Center Rec Flag Football for 1st-4th Grades
All Seasons Center Financial Assistance Program
Northwestern College Soccer Skills Camp
Unity Christian Sports Camps
Western Christian Sports Camps
Dordt University Sports Camps
Oak Grove Summer Camps
- Staff Member of the Month: Nominate a staff member to become the Pella Corporation Staff member of the month. Pella Corporation will award one monthly recipient $500.00 to use towards school approved items and a certificate of recognition. A nomination form can be found here.
Rocky Railway VBS is coming to Bethel CRC in Sioux Center July 19-22! Registration is open. Children ages 5 through 4th grade are invited! You can find the registration link and more info on Bethel's website at www.bethelsc.org or on Bethel's Facebook page. We also need lots of helpers for VBS! If you would like to help with VBS, please sign up online also. There are several opportunities to help with VBS and there are descriptions provided for each job. If you have any questions, contact Shawn Meyers at firstname.lastname@example.org