Wednesday Roundup | 12.14.22
Spotlight Image: Our High School Counseling and Career Center staff donned holiday character and candy cane attire as part of a recent school spirit day.
- December 19, 2022 - School Board Meeting
- December 22, 2022 - Elementary Holiday Socials
- December 23, 2022 - Early Dismissal (No AM Kdg)
- December 26, 2022 - January 2, 2023 - NO SCHOOL for students (winter break)
- January 3, 2023 - WELCOME BACK!
- January 9, 2023 - School Board Meeting
- January 16, 2023 - NO SCHOOL for students (Staff Inservice)
* All events subject to change. Not an all-inclusive list.
Congratulations and special thanks to students from Eagle View Middle School whose artwork was selected to be featured on this year's holiday card :
Jeswitha Gundala, Grade 8 | Cameron Moore, Grade 7 | Claire Wilmert, Grade 7
News & Announcements
Eagle Singers to Perform at PA Farm Show
Congratulations to Eagle View Middle School's Eagle Singers, who were selected as one of 12 groups/individuals to perform the National Anthem as part of the PA Farm Show's "Oh, Say, Can You Sing?" contest.
As part of the contest, a panel of judges narrowed down all entries to 20 finalists, who were then featured on the Farm Show's Facebook page where visitors were asked to vote for their favorites. Top vote-getters were selected as 2023 performers.
You can watch their submission entry below and you can hear our Eagle Singers perform the National Anthem during the Farm Show at 8 a.m. on Friday, January 13.
Celebrating Our Newest National Board Certified Teachers
Please help us congratulate and celebrate six CV teachers who successfully achieved their National Board Certification. Congratulations to:
- Thomas McGough, Science teacher at CV9
- William Snyder, Learning Support teacher at CV9
- Angie Britcher, 2nd grade teacher at Hampden
- Ashley Mennor, 2nd Grade teacher at Hampden
- Amy Schade, Music teacher at Shaull
- Bethany Varano, 3rd Grade teacher at Shaull
National Board Certification is the highest professional distinction available in education. It benefits students, teachers, and school systems by advancing the quality of teaching and learning. In order to become a Board-certified teacher, candidates voluntarily complete a rigorous certification program that consists of four components: assessment of content knowledge, reflection on student work samples, video and analysis of teaching practice, and documentation of the impact of assessment and collaboration on student learning.
They join 1,492 National Board Certified Teachers in Pennsylvania and more than 130,000 nationally. CV is now home to 12 NBCTs.
Congratulations also to four of our 12 NBCTs who completed certification maintenance:
- Darla Romberger, Agriculture Science teacher at CVHS
- Lisa Freed, Reading Specialist teacher at Middlesex
- Julie Breach, 2nd Grade teacher at Silver Spring
- Jenna Lehman, 2nd Grade teacher at Silver Spring
Parent/Community Survey About Communication
We value your input! Cumberland Valley School District is focused on timely and effective communication that meets the needs of our school community. Please complete this anonymous survey to help us better understand how you like to receive communication about both emergencies and general news/information of the district. The survey will help guide us in providing valuable information in the future.
If you are the parent/guardian of more than one student, please complete the survey once by selecting the building of your youngest child.
Survey link: https://forms.gle/y52bPxVnbBmNLSdm9
Our Students Need YOU!
Cumberland Valley School District has immediate openings for substitute teachers and we’re now offering an increased daily rate. PLEASE read to learn more and PLEASE SHARE with anyone you know who might be interested in this rewarding opportunity!
Substitute teacher rates have increased to $150 per day for a day-to-day substitute teacher, $175 per day for a building substitute teacher, and $250 per day for a retired teacher who returns to substitute teach.
- Have your bachelor’s degree? You can complete the Guest Teacher program per PDE guidelines to earn your emergency permit, which allows you to serve as a substitute teacher in our classrooms.
- Currently attending a four-year program to earn your teaching cert? Reach out to learn more about how you can substitute in a classroom through PDE’s Act 86 program.
- Interested in a building sub position? These are regular assignments in which subs report daily to a specific building throughout the school year.
- Interested in a day-to-day professional substitute position? If you have your teaching certification and are interested in flexible scheduling, consider our day-to-day sub opportunities. You create your schedule.
Learn more about all of our substitute opportunities through STS at www.cvschools.org/sub.
Now Hiring: Bus & Van Drivers
Cumberland Valley School District's transportation contractors are now hiring bus and van drivers throughout the district. As a bus/van driver, you will enjoy flexible, part-time hours, provided in-house CDL training, and the ability to bring your child on the bus with you. In addition, our contractors provide a safe and fun work environment while our students provide lots of love and heart.
From the Transportation Department: Delays During Holiday Season
REMINDER: During the holiday season, please be aware that increased traffic along the Carlisle Pike and surrounding areas may cause occasional delays in transporting students throughout the school day. If we become aware of an anticipated lengthy delay, we will notify impacted bus routes via email and/or text message. However, minor delays are to be expected on occasion. Thank you for your understanding.
(NOTE: Parents/guardians must register through Skyward to receive text alerts. Please see below for information on how to complete this process.)
Coming to a Stage Near You ...
Hampden Elementary School proudly presents The Aristocats KIDS at 7 p.m. on Friday, December 16, 2022, in the CV9 auditorium. No tickets are required and admission is free.
Portrait of an Eagle: CV Football
Under the direction of Head Coach Josh Oswalt, CV football players recently came together to stuff holiday stockings for heroes. The team collected goodies and cards, and then gathered together to fill stockings that are being sent to soldiers overseas and veterans in VA hospitals, as organized through the Soldiers' Angels program. They are a Portrait of an Eagle! #CVproud
School Board News
Upcoming School Board Meetings
Unless otherwise advertised, all meetings begin at 7 p.m. and will take place in the District Office Board Room (6746 Carlisle Pike, Mechanicsburg)
December 19, 2022
Monday, January 9, 2023
Monday, January 23, 2023
Monday, February 6, 2023
Tuesday, February 21, 2023
Early Dismissal Times
As outlined in the school calendar, students will dismiss early on December 23, 2022 (No AM Kdg) and June 8, 2023 (No Kdg). Dismissal times for these dates are as listed below.
- CV9 – 10:35 a.m.
- Eagle View – 10:50 a.m.
- CV High School – 11 a.m.
- Mountain View – 11:25 a.m.
- Monroe, Silver Spring, Middlesex, and Green Ridge Elementary Schools – 11:50 a.m.
- Hampden, Shaull, Sporting Hill, and Winding Creek Elementary Schools – 12:10 p.m.
Lunch will not be served on these days (breakfast WILL be served). Kindergarteners who are in session on these days will be dismissed at the same time as all elementary students and will ride home on their normal end-of-day bus.
Emergency Communication/Official Channels for Communication
It is important to ensure that you only look for communication via our official channels. Please click here to visit our website for a chart illustrating the various ways our stakeholders can connect through our official channels with individual staff, a specific school building, and the district.
Register for Text Alerts
Cumberland Valley School District uses text messaging as a mode of communication during inclement weather, emergencies, bus delays, and more. If you are a parent/guardian who is new to the District or if you have not previously signed up to receive text alerts, please sign into your Skyward Family Access account and complete the “Text (SMS) Notifications” form. For step-by-step directions, please click the "How do I register" link below.