Colonial Region Activity
Visit the famous Colonial cities
Blown off track come and visit Plymouth
Take a trip to Jamestown and see what John Smith helped discover
Come and visit the oldest colonial cities of Boston
let yourself drift!
Questions and answers
1. What was Britain's purpose for establishing the Georgia colony and the Pennsylvania colonies.
Britain's purpose for the Georgia colony and the Pennsylvania colonies was to create different "social experiments". Both weren't created for the same purpose, but the of both were set up for the people who didn't fit in with the common colonists. Colonial Georgia shared its boarder with Florida during the time of the Spanish. Due to the fact that the British were scared of the Spanish, they created a buffer between them; they did this by sending prisoners and criminals down to Georgia. While Georgia was meant to scare off the Spanish, the Pennsylvania colonies were created for freedom. The creator, William Penn, was a Quaker. The main goal was to create a colony with no social class, no strict religious system, but with a strong economic system. Due to his vision being abnormal at the time, the officials had saw this society to be an experiment because it never happened before.
2. Describe William Penn's vision for Pennsylvania. William Penn's vision for Pennsylvania wasn't like that for the other colonies. In the other colonies, there was an obvious social class system as well as religious system. His vision of the Pennsylvania colonies was one of a democracy and religious freedom.
3. What was the name of New York City prior to English control? New York was previously named 'New Amsterdam' as it was under the control of the Dutch.
4. How did the English divide up New York? The English had divided up New York into New York and New Jersey.
5. Why did the English focus their early colonization efforts on the North and South Carolina's? They focused their early colonization effort on the North and South Carolina's due to the amount of land that was available and where the colonies were located.