Alta Vista Voyager Connection
An In-Depth Newsletter for Alta Vista Families
- Tuesday, April 9: STAAR Writing (Gr 4) and STAAR Math (Gr 5)
- Wednesday, April 10: STAAR Reading (Gr 5)
- Friday, April 12: Fun with Words Day! Students can dress as their favorite word.
- Friday, April 19: Student Holiday ~ No School
- Monday, April 22: Bad Weather Make Up Day ~ No School
- Friday, April 26: National Superhero Day (Kindergarten)
- Saturday, April 27: PreK FunFest & Round Up at North Waco Elementary from 10 am to 1 pm
- Friday, May 3: STAAR Wars Review Day (Students may wear STAAR Wars themed shirts or outfits but no toys or weapons)
COMING UP: STAAR (May 13-15); Field Day (May 24)
Parent Involvement Opportunities
DIY Stress Balls
You might not think of stress balls as a kid thing, but let me tell you, they are. These super cool squishy balls are perfect for fidgeters, children with Autism, Sensory Processing Disorder, Anxiety and probably every child we know...especially with STAAR testing coming up! They stretch, they squeeze, they are so much fun. Make Stress Balls Kids Will Love with this easy DIY Idea. It only takes a few simple supplies and you’ll have your own DIY stress balls. Enjoy!
- ½ cup Flour (per balloon, approx.)
- Empty Water Bottle, dry
1. Put funnel into the water bottle, and pour flour through it.
3. Turn water bottle upside down and gently squeeze the flour into the balloon. Make sure to use some pressure because the air helps the balloon open up so the flour can all go in.
4. After the flour is all in, pinch the balloon and release it from the bottle.
5. The balloon should have a snug fit to the flour inside it. Just make sure there isn’t any extra air the balloon.
6. Tie the balloon and wipe away any excess flour from the outside.
7. All ready to squeeze away stress and have fun!
P.S. If you find your child has poked a hole in one or a little bit of flour is seeping out through the hole, cover it with another balloon and you are good to go.
To see the directions with pictures, visit https://www.naturalbeachliving.com/make-stress-balls-kids-will-love/
Parent Survey Results
"I feel comfortable at my child's school"
• 15.6% Agree
• 78.1% Strongly Agree
"How well does the school support you in helping your child with learning at home?"
• 40.6% Quite Well
• 59.4% Extremely Well
"I feel comfortable contacting my child's teacher."
• 29% Agree
• 67.7% Strongly Agree
We appreciate your time to complete this survey, and we will be using the results to develop our Parent Involvement plan for the 2019-2020 school year.
Pictures Are Worth A Thousand Words!
Check out our school photos here: https://www.wacoisd.org/Page/9318