September 6, 2021
We hope you had a great long weekend! Great job to all of the students on a great first game at JJ Pearce! Coming up this week on Thursday night, we start our district play versus Centennial at The Star in Frisco.
Please see information below for weekly details.
See you tonight at Kuykendall Stadium for our evening rehearsal from 6:00-9:00pm. Gates to the stadium will be open around 4:30/4:45pm.
This week we have our group and individual photos after school on Tuesday. Students will need to come down to band hall to change into uniform. Students will begin with individual photo until approx 5:30 for the group photo. After the group photo any remaining students will take individual photos.
Students are to have hair styled. Students with long hair can have it in a ponytail for easy adjustments for individual photos.
As you are starting to get a better understanding of your schedule and workload, please take the time now to develop a good homework/study schedule that balances with your practice time and rehearsal time. IPR grades close out this week. All students need to keep working to stay eligible for all IPR's and Report Cards. Please reachout to a friend or section leader if you need help in any class!
Please visit the band calendar for important rehearsals and events for the fall. All posted events are required events for all students.
Football @ Centennial (Game @ The Star)
Game Day Uniform
This week we are planning on wearing the Wakeland uniform. If weather looks like it may be extremely warm or rainy, we will wear the alternate uniforms. Please plan to have all materials for both.
- Navy Compression Shirt
- Black Marching shoes
- Tall ALL black socks - please make sure there is not grey or white on the heel.
- Compression Shorts (Navy or Black - to be purchased on your own)
- Students are not permitted to wear jewelry or nail polish in uniform.
- Long hair students will need to work with older section leaders this week to work on "performance" hair
- Short(er) hair students need to be groomed and styled with product as we will not be performing in hats
-Reminder no facial hair in uniform
Game Day Supplies Needed
- Uniform Parts
- 1-gal Water FILLED
- Flip Folder with all peptune music
Game Day Expectations Students
- Students are to stay in set seats once we arrive to the stadium.
- Students must ask for permission from a chaperone or director to use the restroom. Only a MAX 4 students from each "section (ww, brass, perc, guard)" will be allowed out at a time.
- Students must pay attention to the football game. We operate very quickly and we need all students ready to play at all times.
- Students are to not purchase to bring in food or drinks to the game. Water is the only beverage brought in and consumed during the game.
- Instruments must remain in hands at all times. Damage cause by misused or placing the instrument down is paid for by the student.
- Students are to follow all FISD rules and procedures for riding a bus. When in parking lots, ALL students are to be quiet so the drivers can focus on gettins us on the road safely. Students are to stay seated and facing front on the buses at all times. If the bus has seat belts, all passengers are legally required to wear the seat belts on the bus.
- Students are to stay in full proper uniform at all times.
Game Day Expectations Families/Friends
- Family/Friends may attend the games to watch and cheer on the team and band
- Family/Friends will not be allowed to enter the band setup in the stands and visit with students during any portion of the game.
- Family/Friends cannot purchase food or drinks for members of the band
- Family/Friends will need to follow all stadium guidelines
Families need to make sure you keep in touch with your students for our return time to campus. All students must be picked up in a timely manner.
4:25pm Pre-Game meal
5:15pm Inspection - Be on time. Be Silent
5:25pm Full Band Meeting - Auditorium
5:35pm Load Buses
5:45pm Depart for The Star
6:10pm Arrive at Stadium & unload
6:20pm Enter Stadium
6:45pm Pre Game festivities begin
9:30pm Estimated Game Ends/Load
10:00pm Depart for WHS
10:20pm Arrive at WHS
10:45pm Band Hall Clear
Great job this past Friday for a wonderful performance at the football game. You all sounded wonderful on and off the field.
This is a busy and short week. Because of the picture day on Tuesday and the football game on Thursday, we are going to cancel our Midwest Practices on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday this week to allow for you to have time to catch up on homework.
We will however be rehearsing Kaiju with Mr. Bush and Ms. Islas after Friday’s afternoon practice from 7:00p-8:00p.
Drumline Contest weekend is three weeks away. As soon as we have our performance times an itinerary will be communicated to you.
Important Percussion Specific Dates/Information:
September 6 6:00p-9:00p Monday Night Practice
September 7 Band Picture Day
September 8 7:00a-8:30a Morning Practice
September 8 4:30p-6:00p Midwest Rehearsal - “Golgotha”
September 9 7:00a-8:30a Morning Practice
September 9 Football At Centennial HS
September 10 5:00p-6:30p Afternoon Practice
September 10 7:00p-8:00p Midwest Clinic “Kaiju”
September 11 8:00a-12:00p Saturday Stadium Practice
September 13 5:00p-8:00p Monday Night Practice
September 14 4:30p-6:00p Midwest Rehearsal - “stones. on shores. waiting.”
September 15 4:30p-6:00p Midwest Rehearsal - “Golgotha”
September 16 7:00a-8:00a Morning Practice
September 16 4:30p-6:00p Midwest Rehearsal - “Sprint” (All)
September 17 7:00a-8:00a Morning Practice
September 17 Football v. The Colony HS
September 18 8:00a-12:00p Saturday Stadium Practice
September 20 5:00p-8:00p Monday Night Practice
September 21 4:30p-6:00p Midwest Rehearsal - “stones. on shores. waiting.”
September 22 7:00a-8:30a Morning Practice
September 22 4:30p-6:00p Midwest Rehearsal - “Golgotha”
September 23 7:00a-8:30a Morning Practice
September 23 Football At Denton Ryan HS
September 24 5:00p-6:30p Afternoon Practice
September 25 Plano Drumline Contest
September 25 North Texas Drumline Contest
MIDWEST IMPORTANT DATES
October 11 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Clinic 10:00a-3:00p (Clif Walker, stones. on shores. waiting.)
November 16|17 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Clinic (Dan Moore, Enigmatic Journey)
November 18 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Performance
November 19|20 Tentative Midwest Percussion Ensemble Clinic (TBD)
December 6 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Clinic (Adam Bruce “Golgotha” TBD)
December 7 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Performance
December 10|11 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Clinic (TBD)
December 12 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Performance
A full up-to-date event calendar found at wakelandband.org.
If you have any other questions or anything we can help you with please do not hesitate to reach out!
Past Communications: Percussion Updates
Show Music: 2021 Wakeland Drumline
Midwest Concert Repertoire: 2021 Wakeland Percussion Ensemble
To Join the Wakeland High School Drumline 2021 Remind:
Link - remind.com/join/whsdl21
Text - @whsdl21 to the number 81010
FISD Band Showcase Details/Tickets
On, September 28th, 2021 all eleven Frisco ISD bands will present their competition marching shows at the fifth annual Frisco ISD Marching Band Showcase Presented by Whataburger!
We want to invite you to come see some of the finest musical and visual student performers in the state perform in exhibition at the Ford Center. Performances will begin at 6:30 pm and the evening will conclude with the final performance ending at 9:15 pm. Presale tickets are $5.00 general admission and $8/$7.00 reserved center seating. Tickets will be available at tickets.friscoisd.org. Children 4 and under will be admitted for free with a parent.
Director of Bands
Color Guard Director