Weekly Happenings at Southeastern Elementary
Welcome to the September 27, 2019, edition of Southeastern Scene.
Dear Southeastern Families:
We just wanted to share how much we loved watching our families and children interact with one another on the playground Wednesday night at Popsicles in the Park. Many new friendships are being built and our educational community is growing and thriving. Thank you so much to everyone that stopped by to say hello and take time to meet new friends.
This week's message:
At our school, we all work hard to be the best learners we can be. Our skill for learning is to listen with attention. When we listen with attention our eyes are watching the speaker, our ears are listening, our voices are quiet and we are still. This week, we will practice being a good listener every day!
Yours in education,
When your child’s homework assignment is online it can be an immense challenge for them to stay on task.
Perhaps they’re bored with the assignment to begin with — and one-click away is a treasure trove of funny videos, YouTubers with tips for hairstyles, or watching their favorite gamer on a wickedly high level… it’s all a recipe for distraction.
The good news is that millions of kids are in this situation and still manage to get their work done. But the challenges are immense and many kids really struggle with this constant pull.
Read these tips on helping your kids stay on task with homework in the digital age.
Dates To Remember
- Wednesday, October 2, Custodian Appreciation Day.
- Friday, October 4, Southeastern Elementary school fees due.
- Monday, October 7, through Thursday, October 10, Scholastic Book Fair in the Media Center.
- Monday, October 7, through Friday, October 11, Hamilton County Coat Drive.
- Monday, October 21, picture retake day.
- Friday, October 25, PTO Movie Night.
- Thursday, November 21, third grade music program.
Scholastic Book Fair
Monday, October 7, through Thursday, October 10, is our scholastic book fair. This is always a fun time for students, and we need many volunteers to make this event happen.
Volunteers, Click here to sign-up!
When: Monday October 4th – Thursday the 7th
Book Fair Hours:
Monday 8:30am – 3:30pm
Tuesday 7:45am – 3:30pm
Wednesday 8:30am – 8:00pm
Thursday 8:30am –8:00pm
Preview some of the book fair items by clicking here.
Set up an eWallet for your student.
No cash on hand the day of book fair? No worries! Our school offers Book Fair eWallet as a digital payment option.
Simply set up a free account and have funds immediately available for your student to shop the book fair. It's safe and secure. Click here for more information.
Specials Teacher Spotlight
My name is Laura Getz, Art teacher at Southeastern Elementary School. I am married to Brian Getz, Carmel Clay 5th grade teacher, and I have two children attending Indiana University: Emma, 22, and Harrison, 19, both graduates of Fishers High School. This is my 27th year of teaching, including 1st, 3rd and 5th grade, and 10 years developing the environmental science magnet program at my last school. My goal is that every child believes they are an artist inspired by the natural world. I integrate science standards and outdoor experiences into art daily. I look forward to spending the school year getting to know your children.
School Fees due next week.
Attention parents: School fees are due October 4th.
Payments can be made by check, cash or money order. Checks should be made out to Southeastern Elementary School and include your student's name and I.D number. Credit card payments can be made online using the EFunds payment system. A link can be found at www.hseschools.org under services /food services/efunds.
Instructions for Parents on how to make a Student Course Fee Payment
1. Go to the eFunds website. https://payments.efundsforschools.com/v3/districts/55481/
First time users, please register under the new user area. You will need to know your student's 6 digit student ID.
2. Select Optional Fees.
3. Select Students name.
4. Select specific schools Student Course Fees.
5. Go to Family Access Fee Management Site. https://sis.hse.k12.in.us/scripts/wsisa.dll/WService=wsEAplus/seplog01.w
6. Select Fee management on the left side.
7. Make a note of the Unpaid Balance and type or copy/past into eFunds web site.
8. Select Add to Cart.
9. Select Begin Checkout.
Note: There is a $2.25 convenience fee for online payments.
All fees are due no later than October 4th.
Hamilton County Kids Coats coat drive
Southeastern Elementary families, we need your help!
Southeastern Elementary School is pleased to be participating in the Hamilton County coat drive.
According to the Good Samaritan Network, Hamilton County has at least 18,000 persons who are living below the poverty level. Please help us keep our kids warm and cozy by donating new or gently used coats, mittens, gloves, hats, or boots. We need your clean coats, mittens, gloves, hats and boots for kids. All sizes- Infants to high school. Place your donated items in boxes at the entrances of Southeastern Elementary School beginning October 7th – 11th.
Each item collected will find a home in Hamilton County.
All donations will be distributed at the Nov 2nd and 11th coat give-aways
- 11/2 & 11/9 (8:00 am to 2 pm) Hamilton County Coat Give away *Please see http://kidscoats.org for a give-a-way site near you.
For those families that want to attend the Hamilton County Kids Coat giveaway
- 6 different Give-a-ways take place on November 2nd & November 9th
- Please see Kidscoats.org for give-a-way sites around Hamilton County on Nov. 2nd and 9th. Register your family for a time slot: Click here to register http://kidscoats.org/appointments/
- 8 am -2 pm
Visit kidscoats.org for more info & volunteer opportunities.
The annual friendly Mudsock week competition within HSE Schools fueled the largest PastaBowl collection yet. In total, the 22 HSE Schools collected and donated 40,197 lbs. of pasta to Hamilton County food service organizations. This was a new PastaBowl record and an increase of more than 20,000 lbs. over last year’s record-setting donations.
- Hamilton Southeastern High School was the high school division and overall winner with 6,464 lbs. The Royals unseated Fishers High School who had won the high school division each previous year.
- Fall Creek Intermediate won the intermediate/junior high division with 3,176 lbs. They replaced Riverside Intermediate School who had been the only previous champion in that category.
- Cumberland Road Elementary won the elementary division with 3,394 lbs. Hoosier Road Elementary had been the perennial elementary champion.
- Sand Creek Elementary won biggest gain title by increasing their collection by 1,389% over 2018.
We are pleased to announce that Southeastern Elementary came in third place among elementary schools, collecting and donating 1,884 pounds of pasta. Congratulations, Southeastern families! Thank you so much for your generous donations!
Lunch and Breakfast Information
- Just a reminder, SES is welcoming lunchroom visitors. SafeVisitor is required to have lunch with your child (SafeVisitor information is below).
- You may reserve a spot to eat lunch with your child the morning of by calling the main office at (317) 594-4340. The call cut-off time is 9:30 a.m. There is a 4 guest maximum per grade (including younger siblings).
- Click menu to view each day's lunch options
Dismissal Manager is now available!
Parents, Dismissal Manager is now our source of disseminating dismissal information. Teachers have been instructed to only dismiss by what dismissal manager says. Please use dismissal manager from now on to report dismissal changes. All transportation changes will be accepted only through the School Dismissal Manager. Through the on-line dismissal management system, you can make transportation changes as late as 2:05 on Mondays and 2:30 Tuesday - Friday.
You have been provided with information through an email sent earlier from School Dismissal Manager. The email contains important instructions and your personal login credentials. Please use them to log into the system so that you can verify that the default "transportation" currently set as your child's transportation is correct. If you do not log into dismissal manager, your child's bus will automatically be recorded as the preferred default dismissal.
Here are a few Fast Facts that you will need to know for getting started:
- New parents have been issued a username and temporary password at the top of the email that was sent to your personal email account on September 11th. Returning parents can use their existing parent login credentials. Please use these to login to SDM at www.schooldismissalmanager.com.
- The Parent Login area is found at the top right of the SDM homepage.
- When you login for the first time, you will be required to change your password immediately.
- Please refer to the Parent Guide for Creating Exceptions for details on how to use the system.
- As you begin to use School Dismissal Manager, if you have questions, please check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) link found in the Parent login area at the top of the SDM homepage. Here, you will find answers to the most commonly asked questions. If your question remains unanswered after checking here, please contact the school office and we will be happy to assist you further.
- When you start to receive the email notifications of changes or cancellations that are made for your child, please keep in mind that hitting Reply or Reply All on those emails does not reply to the school. If you need to respond to a notification (i.e., to inform the school it is incorrect, provide additional details, etc.) please call the school directly and talk with someone in the office.
- Do not use the Recurring Dismissal feature to put in your child's ''default'' dismissal.
- Each school day, School Dismissal Manager will send a comprehensive dismissal report to the school immediately following the cut-off time, allowing administrators and staff to facilitate a smooth dismissal.
Thank you for using this tool to help us keep the dismissal process safe and orderly for all our students. Please contact our office if you have any questions or concerns.
School picture retake day
Lost and Found
Community Insider provides information for events and services that might benefit HSE students and families. Please click Community Insider for more information about events happening near you.
Anyone wanting to spend time in the school or chaperone a field trip must have a SafeVisitor ID badge. If you have not yet completed the background check, click Safe Visitor to get started.