Panther Newsletter -- December 19, 2014
Happy Holidays Springfield Families!
I hope to see you all at our Holiday Sing-Along on December 23rd at 2pm and that you'll plan to attend your child's class party immediately following that. Overflow parking for this event will be on the blacktop behind the playground fence.
Wishing you and your families wonderful holidays and a restful vacation. See you in the New Year!
Please feel free to contact me at any time at email@example.com
or (610) 847-5131 x6001.
12/23- Sing-Along at 2pm in Springfield Gym followed by class parties
12/24-1/4 No School! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
1/7- Board meeting, 7:30p, PHS Library
1/12- SEPTA meeting 6:30p, Springfield Library & live-streamed. Agenda includes Zach Ziegenfuss on the new Volunteer Service Experience program and Kate Kieres on the Standards-Based report cards. Please attend & bring your questions!
1/14- Education Programs & Services meeting, 7pm, PHS Audion. Agenda to include Getting Results in School Improvement Planning.
1/16- Bingo night (flier), doors open at 6pm, games run 6:30-8:30pm, Springfield Gym
1/19- Student Holiday
Did You Know?
- Anyone may attend the school Sing-Along on Dec 23rd at 2pm--no clearances required.
- Act 24 clearances are required to attend the class parties following the Sing-Along. These are quick and easy to complete by printing, signing & sending in.
- Thank you to everyone who helped out, attended & purchased at the Barnes & Noble Bookfair Dec 3rd. Thank you Jen Keller, coordinator, and to our B&N volunteers!
- Thank you to Stacey Beatty & Kim Reilly for organizing the Springfield Santa Shop this week and to all the "elves" who helped during the event (see more info below). Thank you to all children & parents who supported this event, as well!
- Thank you to all involved in the first two Movie Nights (Nov & Dec)--coordinator Michele Carson, and all of her volunteers (see more below). Thank you to all the children & their parents who attended!
Outside School / Around the Community
- On Dec 10th, the fourth grade went to the Zoellner Arts Center at Lehigh University with Mrs. Reed for an excellent performance of The Nutcracker.
- The fifth grade is looking forward to traveling to PALMS on Jan 28th for the dress rehearsal of The Little Mermaid with Mrs. Reed.
- Fifth grade band students performed beautiful holiday music for the residents of Saucon Valley Manor in Hellertown with Mrs. Kolb on Saturday, Dec 13th. Photos below.
Upcoming Sports / Activities
thru 1/4- Under the Tree: A Century of Holiday Trees and Toys at Mercer Museum
1/3- Winter Ball Hockey League begins
1/7- Girl's Fast-Pitch Softball pitching clinic, age 10+, PHS Gym, 6-7pm
1/14- Silver Creek Athletic Association Baseball, Softball and Tee-Ball signups for the Spring 2015 Season at Springfield Elementary Gym 6-7:30pm.
1/15- deadline to register for Young Bowlers program at West Hunterdon Lanes
1/17- Bucks County Camp Expo - Find a Summer camp free
1/21- Girl's Fast-Pitch Softball pitching clinic, age 10+, PHS Gym, 6-7pm
1/26- Free PACT Strengthening Families registration deadline for 7-week program, kids ages 10-14
1/28- Silver Creek Athletic Association Baseball, Softball and Tee-Ball signups for the Spring 2015 Season at Springfield Elementary Gym, 6-7:30pm.
2/8- U13 Girls Rugby practice begins
-- Kudos --
Santa Shop - Thank You!
Thank you to all who volunteered their time for this cause: Cheryl Stevens , Tricia Fox, Melodie Bricker, Moira Hower, Valerie Hughes, Joy Shearer, Michele Carson, Crystal Goodwin, Kathy Diehl, Barbara McAnally, Isabella Clifford, Jennifer Bauman, Matt Carson, Sarah Rohrbach, Helen Zaleski, Mario Sclama, Heather Eller, Glynis Schaefer, Lynn Gammello, Shawna Liberg, Leeanne Ryker, Shauna Chilton, Jen Keller
A special thanks to: Moira Hower, Valerie Hughes, Jennifer Bauman, Glynis Schaefer and Lynn Gammello who all volunteered 5 or more hours and an EXTRA EXTRA special thanks to Joy Shearer who volunteered 10 hours!!
Also, thanks to Mrs. Jefferson for the use of her room all week, Mr. Davis for orchestrating the location, Mrs. Burns for dealing with all of the ins and outs of the coordinators & volunteers several times each day leading up to and including this week, Jen Keller for answering tons of questions, Lyla Cookson for getting everything in the newsletters, the janitor for making sure we had what was needed and that the door was unlocked each morning, the teachers for allowing the children the time to shop each day, and last but not least, the people who donated wrapping paper and supplies!!
--Stacey Beatty & Kim Reilly
Dec Movie Night - Thank You!
A great time was had by all at the December Kids’ Holiday Choice Movie! Over 200 votes were tallied and Elf won!! More than 80 kids attended!!
Special thanks to Mr. Davis and to the parent volunteers: Amy Knecht, Kim Modlin, Jenn and Tony Maguire, Helen Zaleski and Brenda Yost. Also, we had help from Palisades High School National Honor Society members; Max Vandergast, Dana Romberger, Joy Detweiler, JoAnne Detweiler, Abby Klein, Doug Hayduk, Mike Guarino, Jensen Vieczorek, and Emma Spies.
We appreciate the donations from the Hower family and GIANT food store. Thanks to the Springfield Baking Committee for their cookie donations!
Thank you to all who attended and helped out!
-Michele and Matt Carson
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PARENTS OF
Palisades has formed a committee to study its multiage program. Parents, teachers, and administrators are representing each building:
Dur-Nox: Dawn Smigo (Parent), Danny O'Connell (Teacher), Marie Collie (Administrator)
Tinicum: Leslie Mueller (Parent), Geri Ann McLaughlin (Teacher), Janet Link (Administrator)
The Goal of the Committee:
We will review literature regarding best practices in multiage education; determine the academic and social impact of multiage classrooms in comparison to traditional classrooms in Palisades; garner stakeholders’ perceptions of our multiage program; and identify needs for future multiage or other non-traditional class configurations.
We’re analyzing the effectiveness of our multiage classrooms compared to traditional classrooms. We’re also studying alternative classroom configurations.
Who to Contact:
Questions and comments can be directed to your parent, teacher, and administrative representatives. We welcome your input.
Bingo Night - Jan 16, 2015
SEPTA Meeting - Dec 8th
- Scott Davis, Principal, reported that the Reunification Drill was a success. The whole building evacuated to the church next door. All went well. There is a possibility of another off-site evacuation Reunification Drill in spring.
- Jen Keller stated that there was a lot of parent participation & many families in attendance at Barnes & Noble Night. Final fundraising results not in yet.
- Michele Carson reported on Movie Nights. Nov’s event went well. Dec's drop-off event with student-choice holiday movie & dinner package is well prepared with many volunteer chaperones. The next Movie Night on Jan 9th, 7pm will feature Frozen & will be a "come in your pajamas night".
- Moira Hower announced Bingo Night will be held on January 16th. The doors open at 6pm & games will run 6:30-8:30pm. They will offer family packs to include hot dogs and bingo cards. A bake sale, cake walk, and guess-how-many-items game will also be offered.
Live-Streaming of SEPTA meetings
Please plan to join us! Don't hesitate to contact us with any questions: Lyla Cookson
Chorus Concert - December 5th
Orchestra & Band Winter Concert - Dec 15th
Board Meeting-- December 17th
Springfield Elementary-related summary:
- Based on the Budget Presentation, the School Board expects that there will be a tax increase this year, though the millage rate has yet to be determined.
- Facilities is looking into the repair of Springfield Elementary's roof.
- Recognition certificates were awarded for involvement in Springfield's outdoor classroom to: Sarah Gappa (Springfield parent & Home Depot employee), Matt Parkes (Home Depot, Lehigh St manager), the Home Depot volunteer crew, and Sue Comstock & Connie Lordan, Springfield staff.
Follow this link to the most current Board meeting minutes.
For more meeting information, contact Tamara Rambo.
Comments, Thoughts, Ideas
Did anything in this newsletter make you say "Huh?" or "What's that all about?" Please let me know and we'll follow up with more information. Just click on the green "Contact Lyla Cookson" or email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the safety of our children, PLEASE do not share this newsletter on any of the social media sites.