QManager and Dismissal
Our preschool dismisses at 2:45pm. We had to change the pickup area for our preschoolers to the front of the building. If you see cars picking up students in the front of the building, they are picking up preschoolers! Our daycare vans will wait until all preschoolers are in their cars and dismissed before they come to the front of the building by 2:55pm. Many thanks for your patience this week as we worked the kinks out.
Director's Order Face Coverings
Welcome back to Parkwood Elementary! It’s so exciting to see familiar faces again after this extra time apart and to welcome new staff and students as well!
As we begin to welcome back our students into the school setting and learn to navigate new school expectations and some uncertainty around the coming months, it is normal for kids to feel some anxiety about change and the unknown. When anxiety is not managed and becomes overwhelming, it can impact both the brain and body, causing feelings of sadness or helplessness. Here are a few things you can do to help ease your child’s transition back to school!
1. MODEL POSITIVITY: Kids learn from our example. Look for the HELPERS! –and Talk about the things people are doing together to help each other and stay healthy.
2. KEEP A ROUTINE: The familiarity of a routine brings a sense of calm and control during a difficult time that feels uncertain. Providing structure to the day is helpful (and the school setting will help tremendously with this as well)!
3. TIME TO TALK: Set aside a time to check in with your child and talk about how they are feeling about the return to school and as they adjust to the first few weeks. Let their questions and comments guide your conversation.
4. FOCUS ON WHAT YOU CAN CONTROL: Instead of dwelling on worries outside of our control, teach your child to focus on what they can control and offer opportunities for them to exercise more choice or provide input when possible!
5. STRESS RELIEF: Engage in and encourage opportunities for stress relief including exercise, outdoor time, art/crafting activities or deep breathing strategies (ie. butterfly, bumblebee or rainbow breath—your child has learned these at school).
**If your child is struggling with the return to school more than what you feel is manageable at home, please don’t hesitate to contact me for support!
We will pick back up with “Mindful Moments” beginning in September. Each morning, all students will participate in a brief (1-5 min) mindfulness activity that helps students to practice focused attention and calming their busy brains and bodies before beginning their day.
September will also mark the beginning of New Student groups to assist and support our 1st -5th grade students who are new to the district with their transition to Parkwood!
Parkwood will continue to offer our “Backpack Buddies” program, supported by Feed the Creek. This program is intended to support the nutritional needs of our young, developing children of families experiencing financial hardships. Participating students will be provided weekly with a free bag of food to take home, prepare and eat over the weekend. The food items will be delivered discretely and care will be taken not to draw attention to the child. This program is available in many neighboring communities such as Centerville and Kettering and we are excited to be able to offer it to our Parkwood families. Participation in the program is optional. If you have not received a permission slip for this program and would like additional information please contact me at 937-458-2336 or Cassidy.firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do for you or your child. I am looking forward to working with our families and community to continue to support our students at Parkwood Elementary!
PTO Virtual Boosterthon Kickoff
Tuesday, Sep. 8th, 8:15am
Parkwood Elementary School September 8-17, 2020
PTO Parent Letter
Sept 2 - Character Education Day - The Golden Rule
Sept 7 - No School - Labor Day
Sept 8-17 – PTO Virtual Boosterthon
Sept 8 – Boosterthon Kickoff
Sept 17 - Panther Virtual Boosterthon Dance
Sept 24 - PTO First Zoom Meeting - 6:30pm