Involving Parents in your LMS
Know what your students did in school without asking!
According to my teenage children they never learn anything in school, but I have access to their grades and assignments in canvas and know differently. Research proves that any parent invovlement increases student achievement.
Rockingham County Schools Since 2011:
- 1:1 Chromebook
- Canvas LMS
- Paperless gradebook
- Push for online/paperless assignments
- Enlisted staff support. EVERYONE
- Created a parent list serve.
- Multiple parent sessions at Multiple times of day
- Collect data
- Individual sessions as needed
- The data caused it to spread to every high school in our district
- 112 parent observers
- +70% Student grades increased
- Preparation is key - 1st day I had prepped for 20 we had 52 parents
- Have online and hard copys of instructions
- Parents wanted MORE sessions
- Parents wanted teachers to be more transparent in grading and assignments