Here's what's happening at Milan Elementary School
Your Help Is Needed!
Our school is participating in a study of High Reliability Schools and your input is needed on the survey. Please click the link below. The first question asks you to select a school. Choose "Other" and type in "Milan Elementary." There are only nine questions in all.
Thank you for taking a few minutes to give us your valuable input.
Milan Elementary Welcomes Grandparents, Friday, August 28.
- Kindergarten, 8:30-9:15 a.m.
- First Grade, 8:45-9:30 a.m.
- Second Grade, 1:15-2:00 p.m.
- Third Grade, 12:30-1:15 p.m.
- Fourth Grade, 9:45-10:30 a.m.
- Fifth Grade, 1:30-2:15
- Mrs. Schutte's Class, 1:15-2:00
Watch for flyers to come home with more details and a reservation form to fill out and return so we'll know how many grandparents to plan for.
Character Education Week - August 14 - 21!
You will notice that some area businesses are supporting our Character Counts Initiative by displaying a large, brightly colored bow that represents one of the six different themes. If you pay them a visit, they also have materials available for you which will include information on the Developmental Assets. Also, be sure to look for the large banner displayed in front of the Milan Middle/High School that shows the Six Pillars of Good Character and the colors that represent each characteristic. Each day our three schools will be focusing on a different character word and color. This is a great time to discuss what each of the character words are and how we can show them in our daily words and actions.
The special days and their themes are as follows:
- (T) for "Trustworthiness" = Friday, August 14. Wear Blue and Tell the Truth.
- (R) for "Respect" = Monday, August 17. Wear Yellow and be Respectful by following the Golden Rule."
- (R) for "Responsibility"= Tuesday, August 18. Wear Green and Do the Right Thing!
- (F) for "Fairness" = Wednesday, August 19. Wear Orange, Be Fair and Follow the Rules.
- (C) for "Caring" = Thursday, August 20. Wear Red, Be Caring and Say or Do Something Kind for Others This Day."
- (C) for "Citizenship" = Friday, August 21. Wear Purple, Be a Good Citizen by Helping Someone Today.
And finally, to wrap up the week of Character Education, we will have a special guest speaker, Mr. Chris McBrien, who will present two shows on why "Character Counts!" to our students on the afternoon of Friday, August 21.
We appreciate your support in promoting good character in our school and in our community!
Need Help Keeping Up With Your Child's Swim & Gym Schedule?
Mr. Fix will be using remind.com to set up automatic reminders for the school year for each swimming and PE class. These reminders will be sent to parents at 7:00 p.m. the night before their child has a swim or PE class. His goal is to help eliminate students forgetting swim gear and athletic shoes.
Remind is a free and safe messaging tool that teachers can use to keep you and your student up-to-date and prepared for class. These simple, short messages can be sent directly to your phone, tablet, computer, or received via a downloadable, free app. All personal contact information is kept private and phone numbers, etc. are not exchanged. There is no charge for these messages!
It's easy to sign up. You have the option to receive messages via the app, text, email, or all three! The list of class codes is shown below. Just find the codes for the day your child has gym and/or swim and use those codes to sign up. You will need to sign up separately for each day you have a child participating.
1. Download the app: After creating an account you will be prompted to join your first class. Enter the class code there. If you need to join other classes moving forward tap the Classes tab then the (+) next to "Classes I've Joined."
2. Sign up via text: Text @the_class_code to the class phone number. For example, if your child has gym on Monday, the class code is "mondgym" and the phone number is 81010, you would send the text message: @mondgym to 81010 or sign up online:
3. Sign up via email: Send a blank email to, email@example.com. Again, if the class code is "mondgym" you would send a blank email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or Sign up online: https://www.remind.com/join
- Monday gym - @mondgym
- Monday swimming- @mondaysw
- Tuesday gym- @tuesdaygy
- Tuesday swimming- @tuesdayswi
- Wednesday gym- @wednesgym
- Wednesday swimming- @wednesswi
- Thursday gym- @thursgym
- Thursday swimming- @thursswi
- Friday gym- @fridaygy
- Friday swimming- @fridaysw
- Wed., August 19: Early dismissal @ 2:25; Moving MES Forward meets @ 6:00 p.m.
- Wed., August 26: Lions Club visits to do vision screening for Kindergarten, Grade 3, Grade 5; Dismissal @ 2:25; PTO Meeting @ 5:00 p.m.
- Friday, August 28: Grandparents Day! Deadline for paying School Fees or setting up a payment plan; PTO Fundraiser begins.
- Wednesday, September 2: Dismissal @ 2:25.
- Thursday, September 3: Quarter 1 Mid-Term Grade Report is issued.
- Friday, September 4: School Picture Day!
- Monday, September 7: Labor Day – No School.
- Tues., Sept. 8: Girls on the Run meets after school and continues on Tuesdays thru Nov. 17.
- Wednesday, September 9: dismissal @ 2:25.
- Thursday, September 10: Girls on the Run meets after school and continues on Thursdays thru Nov. 19.
- Friday, September 11: PTO Fundraiser ends.