The Family Zone
Lectionary-Based Playlist /Issue 43/January 24, 2021
Jesus said to them, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.” Then they abandoned their nets and followed him.
This weekend we hear the call of the first disciples! We, too, are called to be disciples. This week is a good one to consider what it means to be a disciple of Christ. How can you lead your children to follow Jesus more closely?
- "The Imitation of Christ For Children" by Elizabeth Ficocelli
- I Will Follow Jesus: Bible Storybook by Judah Smith
- The Big Red Tractor and the Little Village by Francis Chan
- "Forming Children as Intentional Disciples" by Jared Dees
- Blessed are the Bored in Spirit: A Young Catholics Search for Meaning by Mark Hart
- Jesus asks all of us to follow Him by acting a certain way. What do you think a DISCIPLE should act like? Make a list of the qualities of a disciple of Jesus Christ; how would you recognize one by the way they behave?
- Complete this matching task of the first Apostles by downloading the pdf linked (answers are provided as well) https://www.biblewise.com/kids/fun/fishers-men.php
- Write a letter to Jesus about how you want to try each day to follow Him and what you plan to do as a disciple of His.
- You may be familiar with the term "influencer" from YouTube and other forms of social media. If Jesus had a social media profile page, what would it look like, in what ways would he share His message? Create a social media profile for Jesus , the greatest influence of all time!
Here are some Catholic podcasts, you may want to explore, that focus on Discipleship:
- Raising your family as a FAMILY of disciples: https://www.diapersanddisciples.com/
- Fr. Mike Schmitz talks about all things Catholic: https://open.spotify.com/show/2oQATctoAaFiS8bT596v9G
- Katie Prejean & Tommy McGrady, a married couple in their 30's, living in Louisiana, explore things happening in the culture, talk about their Catholic faith and ways to grow closer to Jesus, all while making references to their two favorite TV shows, "The Office" and "Parks and Recreation" and plenty of other shows, movies, songs, and things in the zeitgeist. Join them on their back porch as conversational chaos, and a lot of laughs, ensue. https://theelectricwaffle.com/
- You Have Called Me by Name, Joseph Tetlow, SJ https://www.loyolapress.com/catholic-resources/prayer/contemporary-prayers/you-have-called-me-by-name-prayer/
- Prayer for Discipleship https://followingjesus.org/prayer-for-discipleship/
Jesus and His First Disciples | Bible Story | LifeKids
Fishers of Men | 60 Second Bible Stories | Ep13
#BeADisciple Day 1 (youth track) - Joel Stepanek
How to be a Good Disciple of Christ
- Create a scavenger hunt for your family! Make sure your instructions are clear! Where are you leading them to? Where do you want them to end up?
- Play a game of Simon Says or Follow the Leader. Use that experience to talk about what it means to follow Jesus. Jesus Says.... Can your kids fill in the blank?
- Make some magnetic slime! (click here). Once the magnet is close, how quickly do you see the slime move? How far can you pull the slime away from the table? Disciples try to stay close to God like a magnet!
- What does it mean to be a disciple? Explore those answers while completing this craft together: http://flamecreativekids.blogspot.com/2013/06/discipleship-sandal-craft.html
"Fishers of Men" Crafts for Sunday School
PUBLIC POLICY WEEKEND: INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE
To learn more, click on the PDF below