Wired on Wednesday
September 7, 2016
We're Here to Help!
FHSD Tech Updates
- BYOD - It's B-a-c-k! Please keep the following in mind: 1) The guest network is restricted to the common areas; and 2) Students and teachers will be able to login to the FHSD network with AD credentials.*
- VoiceThread - Use https://fhsdschools.ed.voicethread.com. You will use your AD credentials.* If you have devices in your room you need to change the settings to fhsdschools.ed.voicethread.com.
- Discovery Education - Access at google.discoveryeducation.com and login with FHSD Google credentials.
*AD is short for Active Directory. This is the login you use for the computers and many of your other district sites.
How to Reset Google Passwords for Student Accounts
- Have student log in to the computer.
- Hold down the control-alt-delete keys at the same time.
- They will be prompted to choose a new password. Please remind them that it must be between 8-16 characters, have at least one capital and one lower case letter, a number or a symbol, and not include any part of their name or student number.
- After changing their password it will work for both the computer login and Google Drive.
- If this doesn't work please place a technology work order.
Also, please keep in mind that all freshmen and sophomores have registered their password in the password portal. If they have forgotten their password, have them enter their login and then select "Forget Your Password?" on the home screen. They should then be propted to answer 1 of 3 questions correctly in order to reset their own password.
Hotspots and Laptops Available for Student Checkout
- Hotspots and/or laptops may be checked out in the Learning Commons by students who do not have access to them outside of school.
- The loan period is for one month at a time with an option to renew.
- A permission slip must be signed by parent/guardian and student prior to check-out.
Using Gale Databases with Google
Students who log in to the databases using their Google account will also be able to highlight and take notes with any selected article. They can then choose to download the article to their Google Drive with notes and highlighting in tact. Share this handout with your students to show them how it works.
Don't forget Gale also works seamlessly with EasyBib! Kelly and I would be happy to share more about these great resources with you and your classes.