Health Concerns in Middle Childhood
One of the healthiest periods for children in Middle Childhood. The Development of the immune systems offers protection to the child.
chronic illnesses may become noticeable in Middle childhood
These illnesses include, asthma, diabetes, and problems such as eyes sight and acne.
- Hearing is well developed in this stage
- mid range to high range and then low range sounds
- ear infections can lead to permanent hearing
- Eustachian tube prevents bacteria and fluids from moving
- many preschool children are farsighted
- in middle childhood this improves
- nearsightedness is the most common problem
- corrective lenses are used to treat this problem
- children begin losing their primary (baby) teeth.
- front teeth fall out first then move their way to the back.
- at age 12 all 20 adult teeth should have grown in
- tooth loss can be hard on a child's emotional state
- teacher must promote good dental hygine to reduce the percent of tooth decay in young children
- becoming a common problem among school aged children
- child is obese if weight is 20% above average
- affects 25% of school aged children
- can be inherited/ influenced by parents
- physical inactivity can play a factor
- may develop problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or heart disease when older
- can affect emotional state as well as social.