Mrs. Parks's Newsletter
The Second Grade Scoop
Last week: Students have been learning about characters and how they respond to a major event in a story.
This week: Students will continue the same skill and learn how a character changes from the beginning of the story to the end of the story.
This week: Students will finish a personal narrative. They have been writing about personal experiences that have happened to them. Students are taking everything they have learned about the writing process and applying it independently.
Last week: The skill was long I spelled: I, ie, _y
This week: The skill is long o spelled: o, oa, ow, oe
Homework: Your child should choose homework from the spelling menu. Students are also encouraged to access spelling tiles from BCPSone. Students can access these tiles by logging on as themselves and then going to "language arts" and then "lessons".
Test: The test will be given on Friday. It will consist of 5 words from the list, 2 words from last week's skill and the 3 high frequency words.
Last week: Students finished up the science unit by taking a test. They began planning their dioramas.
This week: Students will begin work on their dioramas. We will begin a short Social Studies unit on communities after dioramas are finished.
- Winter Party (tentative) - 2:00 - 3:30
- Winter Break - No school from Thursday, December 24 to Sunday, January 3 (School reopens Monday, January 4)
- End of the 2nd Quarter - Friday, January 15
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Break - No school - Monday, January 18
- Professional Development Day - No school - Tuesday, January 19
- Birthday Celebration... We celebrated Keegan, our December birthday, last week Thursday. Keegan donated a soccer ball for the class to enjoy using during outdoor recess. Thanks and Happy Birthday, Keegan.
- The Kid Stuff promotion has ended. Thank you to everyone that participated. The funds from this program help to fund technology needs in our school. Some things the funds have been used for are to buy replacement batteries for computers and light bulbs for projectors so we can use the Promethean Boards.
- Box Top collection is ongoing. Feel free to send yours in at any time. We have a container at school to keep them in until counting time.
Brody! You have been putting forth a good effort! Way to go, Wise Westy!
He will be the classroom helper and line leader this week in celebration of his Star Student status!
Volunteer training is online again this year! You can go online and complete the training on your own time that matches your schedule. Once you have completed the online volunteer training, you need to print out and bring in the certificate and application to school to be checked and signed. Please allow at least 24 hours from the time the office receives the form for the form to be processed in the front office.