Alamo Superhero Headlines
Alamo Elementary Weekly Newsletter - October 15, 2018
Oct. 16 - Mileage Club Kick-off
Oct. 17 - Delayed Start
Oct. 17 - School Store
Oct. 17 - Stars Practice
Oct. 18 - 5th Kalamazoo Symphony Petting Zoo visit
Oct. 18 - School Store
Oct 18 - KSO Petting Zoo (5th grade)
Oct. 19 - Mileage Club
Oct. 22nd-26th - National School Safety week
Oct. 22nd-26th - Red Ribbon Week
Oct. 23 - Tots N’ Tunes
Oct. 31 - Halloween Celebration
Congratulations October Students of the Month
Kindergartener - Reese Engbers
1st Grader - Janora Robertson
2nd Grader - Alayna VerHage
4th Grader - Kaelyn Block
5th Grader - Liam Smith
3rd Grader - Callen Davis
Fire Safety with Alamo Fire Department
To learn more about WatchD.O.G.S. click on the video link below.
The staff and parents at Alamo Elementary believe in providing a safe quality educational environment for our kids. WATCH D.O.G.S. is a one of a kind, school-based father involvement program that supports education and safety.
If you are interested in being a Watch DOG or would like to make a financial donation to assist in supporting this program please contact Nicole M. Knight-Lucas (email@example.com) or Natalie Trumley (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Register to be a WatchDOG and sign up by clicking on the link at VolunteerSpot: https://signup.com/client/invitation2/secure/1998773/false#/invitation
To purchase a shirt (and other great WatchDOGS gear) please visit http://www.fathers.com/watchdogs/ and click on “Dogstore”.
Thank you Fun Run Sponsors
An enormous thank you goes out to all of our company sponsors for this year’s Fun Run. Please help support them just as they have supported us.
Real Wood Floors
Vlietstra Fertilizing Services
National Storage Company
Esper Electric, LTD
Warner Memorial Camp
Preferred Plumbing and Heating
Steensma Lawn and Power Equipment
Butler, Toweson and Payseno, PLLC
USG Otsego Paper
Red Ribbon Week is Coming Up!
Battle of the Books
Teams are now forming for BOTB. If your child is in grades 3-5 and is interested please register in our office. Coaches are also needed. If you are interested in coaching please email Mrs. Knight-Lucas at email@example.com or Mrs. Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to view the book trailer. https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vR9sLLAI9j4a0IPoUbHPVi3Vl-QMXwf_uRQGk_itxegVevPE7oTr9wJuQnOBFtobpP3_Jjgkde3t7Bs/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=1000&slide=id.p
Alamo Mileage Club Gearing Up
PE Teacher, Mr. Uramkin, is kicking off the Alamo Mileage Club again. The Alamo Mileage Club will take place on Tuesdays and Fridays at lunch recess. Parents are welcome and encouraged to come and walk and every Tuesday and Friday. Be sure to register in the office. The program is designed to increase physical activity among the students and promote exercise.
Lunch Recess Times
K - 11:55-12:15
1st - 11:55-12:15
2nd - 12:05-12:25
3rd - 12:25-12:45
4th - 12:35-12:55
5th - 12:15-12:35
As you plan ahead for our Halloween parties on Oct. 31st. please help your child choose a fun costume. Please remember that guns, swords, knives or violent costumes are not appropriate for a fun school party. Our costume parade will be held on Friday, Oct. 31st at 3:00 p.m. Please plan to join us!
Purple Shirts Still Available
Creative Arts Festival Exhibit
OPS Compliment Box
Get Involved, Make a Difference
November 12th @ 4:00 p.m.
No December meeting
January 7th @ 6:30 p.m.
February 11th @ 4:00 p.m.
March 4th @ 6:30 p.m.
April 8th @ 4:00 p.m.
May 6th @ 6:30 p.m.
Interested in Volunteering?
The PTO uses a website called Volunteer Spot. How it works is you will receive an email from Volunteer Spot with our PTO President/Volunteer Coordinator’s name, Kim Jacobs Volunteer Coordinator, in the subject line. When you open the email, it will list the event and dates we will need helpers. If you can help, click on the link in the email that says Sign Up Now/Learn More. This will take you to a calendar where you will see sign up icons. Click on the date you can help and this will take you to a box where you will see times, how many volunteers are needed and a job description. Click on Sign Up Here, then Save and Close, and you're all set! 1-2 days before the event, you will receive a reminder email. If you have any questions, please feel free to call Kim at 381-5514. Thank you!
Box Tops & Aunt Millie's
Every year our PTO collects Box-Tops for Education. Send in those Box-Tops today!
Aunt Millie's School Spirit Program
Help earn money for your school by collecting Aunt Millie's UPC's.
Click on the link to learn more. http://schoolspiritprograms.com/how-it-works/
Recess & Lunch Volunteers Needed
Guests & Visitors
We love visitors at Alamo, but want to make sure we are keeping our students safe. Upon entering the building, you are required to check in with the office. You can drop off the forgotten homework, lunch or note to your child in the office. We will make sure it gets to the classroom teacher. If you are going to the classroom, please stop in the office to register and pick up a visitor’s pass.
Pick-Up Procedure & Secure Entrance Reminder
It is of upmost priority to us to keep your child safe while he/she is at school. With the addition of our new entrance we ask that parents wait outside to pick up their child at the end of the day. We LOVE interacting with our students' families and welcome you into the building after dismissal is complete. If you need to pick your child up early or need to speak with the office you are welcome to enter the office prior to the end of the day. Please note that our new security system requires visitors to ring the doorbell, for us to secure identification and to unlock the doors.
• All parents who are picking up their child will need to wait outside the building.
• Kindergarten students will exit out the west side of the building near the bus loop.
· Pick-up students will exit out the cafeteria doors.
- Bus students will exit out the main doors.
Alamo Parking Lot Safety video
Pick Up & Drop Off Procedures
As you may know, the parking lot is a busy location during pick up and drop off. For the safety of our students and families we ask that you follow the guidelines below:
- The space along the sidewalk has become a pick up & drop off zone only and parking is NOT allowed. Please use this area to either drop off or pick up your students before or after school. Be sure to pull up to the front of the pick up/drop off zone if and when it is not busy. This allows for more cars to drop off/pick up at the same time. Our hope is these no parking zones will be used as places to pull through & drop students while allowing folks to pass safely on the left. Keeping the zoned area clear will also allow for the assistance of any emergency vehicles if needed.
- The driveway has been repainted to help keep the traffic flow moving and to help direct parents when dropping off in the morning or picking up in the afternoon. When dropping off or picking up, please follow the yellow arrows to help keep traffic flowing and for the safety of students & families.
- When dropping off your child, please pull all the way up to the front off the drop off zone when possible. This allows for multiple vehicles to pull up and drop off their child at the same time and keeps the traffic moving.
- During drop off, students should exit the vehicle from the curbside only. Parents, please do not get out of your vehicle as this slows down the flow of traffic.
- If you are picking up your child after school and arrive prior to dismissal, please park in an available parking space. You are welcome to meet your child on the sidewalk when he/she is dismissed.
- For the exception of the grass area near the parking lot entrance, please DO NOT park outside the identified parking spaces. This creates congestion and can block the view of the rest of the parking lot.
- If you need to enter the building, leave your vehicle, or need to wait for any duration of time we ask that you park in a parking space to help keep the traffic flow moving.
Thanks for your patience and please let us know if we can improve the procedure.
Important information concerning changes to the Otsego Public Schools Elementary Student Handbook
There have been two changes to the Otsego Public Schools Elementary Handbook concerning Electronic Devices/Cell Phones and Attendance. Please review the last two newsletters concerning these changes. The Elementary Student Handbook is available on-line at www.otsegops.org, under Useful Links on each building page, or a paper copy can be obtained in any OPS Elementary School office.
Remind for Alamo Parents
Join Alamo Parents REMIND
Would you like to receive text updates on important dates and activities taking place here at Alamo Elementary? REMIND is a safe and efficient communication app designed for teachers/schools to communicate important classroom/school information. If you are interested in receiving updates from Alamo Elementary via text, text this message @aebulldogs to the number 81010.