Village and ECDC Family Newsletter
April 19, 2020
Distance Learning -Week 3
Thank you to all of our extraordinary teachers and parents who have been working so hard to bring learning home to your students. We know that this is not easy, and your efforts are applauded and appreciated.
Some things you should know:
- Each grade level will look different- amount of work, zoom meetings, online vs. paper expectations. This is to be expected and appropriate. Feedback on assignments will also look different at each grade level. All of our teachers are following the CUSD Distance Learning platform.
- Grade level teams are working together to lesson plan, organize curriculum and provide family resources. In addition to to their classroom Zoom meetings and office hours, our teachers are participating in Zoom meetings with Admin, leadership and with their teammates throughout the week. They are also attending virtual IEP meetings weekly.
- If you have feedback to give to our teachers regarding distance learning, please email them to let them know about your experience with distance learning. They are working SO hard and would love your feedback!
- If it gets overwhelming, please take a break. If you need assistance, please let your student's teacher know.
- All students are expected to participate in work completion. If your student has not been engaged in the distance learning platforms, Mrs. White and myself will be reaching out soon to see how we can help. We care about your families and know how important it is to keep learning continuing, even at home.
VES Teacher of the Year!
We are so proud of all of our teachers and are excited to have Mrs. Garner represent
VES/ECDC at the district level!
Send her a congratulatory email at
Don't Forget About Specials! PE, VAPA and I LAB
A Message From Mr. Sawi and the PE Team
A Message From Mrs. Fuhrmann- VAPA Teacher
See some works of art below! We will be featuring art in each week's family Newsletter!
A Message from PTO
From Village PTO:
Please vote on our incoming PTO officers: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeQP8ImqHi8ci6JN9ZYizUgKMBR11t6Vcp9zb-dBb6jJetDeg/viewform?usp=sf_link
Please join Konstella (use the code: L39A6R) and register your students in their classes. Please make this site work for you! My suggestion- change the notifications to only a weekly email and then you can go to the site/app and look for what you want when you want it.
Please help us decide how to spend our money at school:
We have created a preference sheet in Konstella where you can pick your top 5 investments that PTO can make at Village in the coming year.
--> Our purpose at Village PTO is to support the education of students at Village by encouraging parent and community involvement with the school; fostering communications between the school, parents, and teachers; providing volunteer support for teacher needs and school functions; and providing additional financial support.
PTO Meeting Wrap-up:
Thank you to all of the parents who came to the PTO meeting on Wednesday, I appreciate your presence and your support. We look forward to seeing you at the next PTO meeting (potentially via Zoom) on May 7 at 7pm.
There were some questions that arose during the meeting and I'm still working on getting answers. Look for answers soon on Konstella to these questions:
- When is Tk/K registration?
- When will the School Calendar for 2020-21 be released?
- What updates can we do in the teacher's lounge (painting a mural?) to spruce up the room?
There is a feedback form (This is the SEARS Red Phone if you were on the ZOOM meeting) and we collect all of your input to make decisions going forward. Share your thoughts! We can't make it better without knowing where to focus energy!
5th Grade Promotion Ideas/Brainstorm
The end of the year is quickly approaching! We know that the end of the year attendance in school has not been decided upon by CUSD at this time. Hopefully we will know soon. In case we do not return to school for a physical 5th grade promotion, please reach out to me ASAP with ideas for a long-distance or virtual promotion. I look forward to getting ideas that our 5th grade team, parents and PTO can use to help make this year's 5th grade promotion special for all of our students.
See email: Heidi.firstname.lastname@example.org
A Message from Karin Mellina- CMS Principal
Information Coming Soon to 5th Grade Parents regarding:
- CMS Instructional Program
- CMS Vision, 8 Keys of Excellence and our Triton Agreements
- Student Day and Student Schedule
- Elective Options/Descriptions and elective form
- PowerSchool and Technology Use
- Community Partners
Math placement information will be provided in May.
CUSD GRAB-AND-GO MEAL SERVICE
Grab-and-Go Meal Service at Village Elementary and Silver Strand
When: Every Monday
Location: Multi-Purpose Rooms at VES (H Street) and Silver Strand Elementary
Distribution Time: 11:00AM - 1:00PM (while supplies last)
Our next distribution day will be Monday, 4/20 at 11AM. All families with children 18 and under will be able to pick up free breakfast and lunch meals via curb-side pick-up. Each child will receive one bag that contains 5 days’ worth of meals for breakfast and lunch. Meals may consist of packaged, refrigerated, and/or frozen items (heating instructions will be provided). District and school staff will start "Grab and Go Distribution" of meal bags at 11AM, and will stop once all bags are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.
All meals will be distributed curb-side to decrease the risk of exposure. Bags will be placed into automobile trunks-they will not be handed through the vehicle window for the protection of both our staff and vehicle occupants. Only those in cars will be served meals during this pick-up window, no walk-ups or bicycles are allowed in order to maintain social distancing protocols. If you are unable to pick-up meals by car or during the scheduled distribution time, please email Charity.Campbell@coronadousd.net on or before the Friday before pick-up at noon and we will schedule an alternative window to pick-up a meal.
Meals may not be distributed to students. Students who are receiving meals are encouraged to be physically present at the time of pick-up. Additionally, adults may pick up meals for students not present by printing and submitting this form at the time of pick-up. No meals will be distributed to parents/guardians without a child present or a form submitted at time of pick up due to state regulations.
Meals are available for all children aged 18 and under. Children are not required to be students of Coronado Unified School District. On April 6, the first day of meal distribution, we served 5 breakfast meals and 5 lunch meals to 630 children, 6300 meals in total. On April 14, the second day of meal distribution, we prepared and served enough meals for over 830 children (8,300 meals in total). As demands increase, we will continue to increase the number of meals we prepare in order to accommodate our entire school community. This is free for all children, regardless of meal status - please spread the word!
Konstella-We have almost ALL PTO parents enrolled on Konstella!
Konstella is the new online place for everything happening at Village Elementary. Please log on and place your students in their classes, it takes less than 3 minutes!
Download today to avoid missing new information!
CAUGHT BEING AWESOME!
As our educators, parents, and community come together to connect, challenge and champion our students during our district closure, we are humbled by the outpouring of compliments during these trying times. What a positive testament to our CUSD family!
Click here to recognize an employee or volunteer who goes above and beyond to make a difference. Those who are "caught" will receive a copy of the positive words that were shared about them and a "Caught Being Awesome" decal. Please take a minute or two to brighten someone else's day!
A Message from Coronado Safe
Coronado SAFE is here and available to support Village families. Here are a few things we are doing, please let us know how else we can help during this time:
- Suicide Prevention Training on Monday, April 20th 9:30am click here to register
- SAFE's Counseling is now available virtually by phone or video.
- Free Mental Health Wellness Checks and other COVID-19 Resources are available to the Coronado community
- SAFE is currently working on two virtual programs that we hope to finalize the details on this week. We can send out info as soon as it is finalized. We are encouraging people to sign up for our newsletteror Like our Facebook page in order to stay up to date on our programs.
- Virtual Art and Expression group for elementary kids, hoping to start within next two weeks
- Virtual Parent Support Group. Currently full but considering starting another one if there is enough interest.
Green Art Labs Opportunities
$40 per child, 4 online classes
$15 drop-in online class
Choose from class on:
Register at www.greenartlabs.com/kids
Or, we can customize a class for your group. Email email@example.com for more info.