Club 45 At Home
Week 16, June 25 - July 1
Let's talk about worship!
Hello Club 45 family.
We hope to see you at one of our Zoom gatherings this week:
- Fridays at 4:30: worship team practice! This is for any singers or musicians who want to grow in their ability to worship God through music, and help others do the same.
- Sundays at 10:00 is our regular Club 45 gathering where we learn about Jesus, have fun together, pray together, and worship together.
- Thursdays at 4:30 is our Club 45 hangout where we enjoy time with friends and have some fun playing games and chatting.
- NEW!!! Wednesdays at 4:30: Growing as a Leader. A new group with Aaron will focus on leading a great discussion about God...how to ask good questions, how to encourage, and all the other great skills it takes to help people interact meaningfully with God and others. Email Aaron for the link. Our first one will be Wednesday, July 1st.
Your Club 45 team: Tom, Aaron, and Andrea
Continuing our series about Worship!
Last week we talked about how worship, which simply means to value God above everyone and everything else, to always be paying attention to Him. We worship God because He loves us and rescued us. We worship Him with everything we’ve got: our minds, hearts, and bodies. This week we’re going to talk about when and where we worship Jesus.
Alright everyone, time to begin! Answer the following questions with your family:
- Your name
- Your number from 1-4 that tells us how you are...1 is not so good, 4 is great.
What's an activity that you can do anywhere?
Where and when do we worship?
This leads to one of our KEY POINTS- God’s people showed love for God by following his worship plan for them.
Now the New Testament tells Jesus’ story. Jesus’ family knew when and where to worship. Each year, they traveled to the BIG temple (which was God’s house) for a feast. When Jesus was only 12, his family couldn’t find him after the feast. Guess where he was? At the temple talking to the leaders about God like a real expert. His mom was surprised when young Jesus said, “OF COURSE you would find me in my Father’s house.” We talked last week about the Bible and how it’s the story of God’s love for us. Let’s check this out in the book of Luke. Read Luke 2:41-49
This leads to another one of our KEY POINTS: Young Jesus loved the Father, and worshipped and learned in his FATHER’S HOUSE.
- How does God’s plan for his people in the Old Testament and Jesus’ actions apply to worship for us?
But Jesus’ death and resurrection changes everything for us. In the verse we read during "Find it in the Bible," Paul, Jesus’ friend, said that You are God’s temple and God’s Holy Spirit lives in YOU! We don’t have to be in any one place because God is in us! It’s mysterious and cool. God lives in our hearts, so our WHOLE SELF becomes God’s house, his temple. So we can have our worship FEASTS ANY TIME.
God’s Holy Spirit lives in us and we can love and worship Him wherever and whenever we are. God has always had this worship plan for us.
This is your time to just stop and sing to Jesus with your family. You can play a favorite worship song on your instrument or stream it and sing along. This is a time for you and your family to enjoy Jesus and meet him through song. Here's one that's been going through my (Andrea's) heart this week.
Quiet time - just you and Jesus
We can worship Jesus just by quietly listening to him and talking to him.
What does this look like? The purpose is to take a few minutes of silence and allow yourself to just connect with Jesus and let Him speak. It’s a time to practice being in His presence, to slow down, practice hearing His voice and experience/feeling His presence. A good way to process what Jesus is saying is to journal.
We’re going to take just a few minutes and sit quietly with Jesus. Our lives are full of so much noise and activity that sometimes it’s nice to just stop and listen for Jesus. Close your eyes and picture yourself with Jesus. Maybe picture you and Jesus by a lake, or sitting together on a rock, or curb, or in a flower patch. If you don’t have a picture, ask Jesus for one and he will show you! When we picture ourselves with Jesus in some way it helps our mind to focus on him instead of the other places our mind goes to like I’m hungry, I want to go home, I can’t wait to play with my friends later, or I love pizza and unicorns! Settle in with Jesus and talk with him. He loves to hear from you and it’s the best part of his day to be with you in this way. Tell him your thoughts, your fears, your worries, your dreams, hopes….just like a best friend….he wants to hear it all. Sometimes you will feel Jesus in different ways. Maybe he gives you his thoughts on something like someone just put in your brain what they think…that’s Jesus. You may feel His peace like a warm heavy blanket was just put on you. Maybe you have a picture come to your mind. We all experience Jesus in different ways.
You can write anything that God shows you, or anything you want to tell God, in a journal!
Communion is the family meal where we get together and remember that Jesus is our forever Passover lamb. Like the Israelites in the Old Testament, who lived because of the shed blood of the lamb on their doorpost, we live forever with Jesus because of his finished work on the cross.
Read 1 Corinthians 11:23-26, and then take the elements (usually a cracker and juice, but do whatever works!) with your family. Do this in memory of the Jesus who’s paid the greatest price for you, his greatest treasure.
Pray for each other
- As a family, check in with each other, what’s Jesus saying?
- Talk about how to practically apply worshiping God this week (taking some quiet moments with God, going on a walk and recognizing His creation, reading the Bible, prayer). Maybe we can encourage each other in making our lives “prayer talks” with God everywhere we go.
- Ask your family for any prayer requests that they have and pray for those.
Get in Touch!
We miss you all and would love to hear from you by phone or email.
aka "Tom Cat"