Florence Nightingale


Big image

Early Life

Florence Nightingale was born on May 12 1820, in Florence Italy. She was the youngest of two. Her parents names were Frances Nightingale and William Shore Nightingale. She was not very social and often got in fights with her mother. Nightingale was involved in philanthropy which is ministering to the ill and the poor. By the age of 16 she believed that her divine purpose was to be a nurse.

Later Life

When Florence Nightingale told her parents that her calling was to be a nurse they were very upset. They even forbid her from being a nurse. When she was 17 she rejected the man who was betrothed to who was "suitable" named Richard Monckton Milnes. In 1844 she enrolled as a nursing student at the Lutheran Hospital of Pastor Fliedner in Kaiserswerth, Germany.

Start of her Career

In the early 1850's when she returned to London and got a job at Middlesex hospital. She became the superintendent within a year. While she was working there was a cholera and the unsanitary conditions made it spread quicker. She made it her mission to clean up the hospital and reduced the hospital's death rate by two-thirds. This all took a toll on her health

More Nursing in Wars

In late 1854 she was asked to organize a group of nurses to tend to the sick and fallen. Inn just a few day she had 34 nurses ready to go. At the hospital there were rodents and bugs running pass each of the injured soldier. The soap, towels, water and many other basic hospital needs. Most soldiers were dying from diseases typhoid and cholera than battle injuries. Nightingale spent every minute of the day with the soldiers. They called her the "lady with the lamp" because in the night she walked around the hospital with a lamp. She made the hospital feel like home to many people.

End of Life

Florence Nightingale got Crimean Fever and was bedridden at 38. She was still determined so she worked from her bed.In 1910 on her 90 birthday she got a congratulation message from King George. Friday August 12 she developed many symptoms. Friday August 13, a week later, she died at 2pm at her home in London.
Big image