A Newsletter from Scotland Elementary School
Week of November 9, 2020
The Scotty Updates has been created to provide families and staff with information regarding upcoming events, happenings, and programs at Scotland Elementary School. Please take time each Monday to review our newsletter. Thank you!
A Message from Mrs. Katkocin ❤️
Dear Scotland Families,
I hope this message finds you all well, and having enjoyed the gorgeous weather this weekend!
What a treat to have 70 degrees in November! ☀️ I know that the recent COVID cases, both in our community and at Scotland, feel uncomfortable. At Scotland, we continue to implement mitigating measures, including frequent hand washing, mask wearing, social distancing, and daily cleaning of desks, bathrooms, and high touch surfaces multiple times daily. As always, our staff at Scotland has been amazing with reinforcing these practices with students on a daily basis. We continue to be vigilant, ensuring students and staff are safe at Scotland.
On Friday, October 30th and Monday, November 2nd, we celebrated Halloween at Scotland! We began our days with a kindergarten parade through the hallways, while students watched and cheered from their classrooms. We then maintained our Scotland tradition with a Halloween sing-a-long. Please find the link to the video here. A HUGE thank you to Mr. Tornatore for putting this together! Enjoy!
Just a reminder that our virtual Parent/Teacher Conferences will be held on Friday, November 20th, Monday, November 23rd, and Tuesday, November 24th. These three days will be early dismissal days. Your child's teacher shared conference information with you last week. Afternoon conferences will be held from from 12:40pm to 3:20pm. On Monday, November 23rd, there are also evening conferences from 5pm to 7pm. School will be dismissed at 11:40 on November 20th, 23rd, and 24th. Lunch will be served, but there will be no recess.
Wishing you all a wonderful week!
Reminder: If your child is going to remain a temporary remote learner, please complete this form, and email both your child's classroom teacher and Mrs. Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org to notify us.
*Follow Scotland on Instagram @ScotlandElementarySchool
Events and Happenings
WEEK AT A GLANCE:
Monday, November 9th:
- A Day
Tuesday, November 10th:
- B Day
Wednesday, November 11th:
- No school - Veteran's Day!
Thursday, November 12th:
- C day
Friday, November 13th:
- D day
Friday, November 20th-Tuesday, November 24th:
- Parent/Teacher Conferences - Early Dismissal (11:40am dismissal)
Wednesday, November 25th:
- Students will have virtual, asynchronous REMOTE learning from 8:55-11:40am
- Early Dismissal Day for Students and Staff
Snaps from Halloween - Part Two! 📷
Congratulations to Noah Zentko for Winning the SES Pumpkin Carving Contest!
Information to Keep Handy! 📓
Our dismissal process has been working smoothly, and I am incredibly grateful for your patience and flexibility as we navigate the space we have to use. We will continue to work with Ridgefield Police to ensure a safe, efficient pickup at Scotland! Just a few dismissal reminders as we head into the week...
- Please be sure to enter dismissal information into School Dismissal Manager. If a family arrives to pick up a student whose name is not entered in SDM, the family will be asked to park, and then sign out their child with our security guard. This is to ensure the safety of each and every student.
- Please have your students name(s) visible in the front windshield on the passenger side of the car. This will allow our staff to call students for dismissal in the most efficient way possible.
- In the pick up line, students MUST enter the car on the passenger side of the car. We cannot have students walking between cars to enter from the driver's side. If your child must enter on the driver's side, please park your car, and one of our staff members will walk your child to you.
- If you need to help your child buckle, or perhaps open a snack for their ride home, kindly park the car in one of the available spots to do so.
A Note from Mrs. Martire 👩🏻⚕️
If your child is ill or has been exposed to Covid-19 please contact me at 894-5825 extension 6575 or email me at email@example.com.
Attached below is the letter that was sent out from the RPS nurses at the start of the school year for your reference. It includes a link to Addendum 5 ( also attached below: link to CT Guidelines) which was a collaborative effort by the Connecticut State Department of Education and the State Department of Public Health to provide schools districts with guidance and protocols for responding to specific Covid-19 scenarios that may occur with school reopening.
Due to COVID health and safety concerns, any student with any one of the potential COVID symptoms (cough, difficulty breathing, fever or chills, fatigue, muscle or body ache, headache, new loss or taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea) must remain home until the CSDE and CT DPH guidance is met in accordance with Addendum 5.
Addendum 5 has several scenarios based on symptoms and exposure. Becoming familiar with the document will be helpful as I will be referring to this often this year as we continue to experience this global pandemic.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions .
Virtual Learning Reminders
- Students will be visible to the teacher and other participating students (please remind your child to have their camera on throughout the lessons).
- Parents are encouraged to have their students independently participate via a location that is quiet and free of distraction, to the extent possible. Other individuals in the home are not permitted to participate in or be visible on the video conference, or otherwise observe the lesson, other than reasonable adult supervision of the student.
- Parents and students are prohibited from recording video conferencing sessions. The district will not be recording any classes/sessions.
- Depending on each student’s individual circumstance, teachers or service providers may request the facilitation of the supervising adult to assist the student in engaging in the session.
- In addition, if your child needs to leave for a period of time during instruction (i.e. doctor or dentist appointment), please notify the classroom teacher ahead of time, just as you would if they were in the building.
Thank you so much for your partnership in making this experience a success!
School Dismissal Manager
We continue to use School Dismissal Manager this year at Scotland. Please click below for information regarding this system. This system will be available to families in late August. A welcome letter will be emailed to families when the system is available. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us!
A Note from Our PTA
Scotland Auction Open Until 11/14 at Midnight!
NEW ITEM!!!! WANT TO AVOID THE DISMISSAL CAR LINE?? Head over to the SES auction. Mrs. Katkocin has offered 3 SES Priority Pick Up Prizes for our auction! She will walk your child/ren across the street to the Cadence Academy Parking lot for 1 month!!
Many more items are still available with new lower starting bids!!!
We are 90% to our goal!! We can make it.