Weekly Newsletter - February 7, 2019
Our Mission and Vision Statements
St. Joseph Catholic School provides students with a safe and prayerful learning environment, enveloped by an intimate community of active and faithful families.
Catholic schools in the Diocese of Fort Worth are committed to opening the doors so that our students can reach further than the walls that would otherwise enclose them and therefore are able to recognize and cherish the eternal and transcendental goods of Truth, Beauty, and Goodness.
From the Principal
Here we are, already in the month of February, and today God let it be known that we are still in winter! Just like that, God brings us back to reality. This month's Bible verse also brings us back to reality. The reality that none of us is an island. We are all part of one body of mankind made in the image and likeness of God. Together, we are called to serve the Lord and to love one another. I believe that truth and love go hand in hand. St. Paul tells us that if we are without love, we are nothing. How can we fully embrace love for our fellow man if we are untruthful to him? Our being part of one body, one Church, means we are part of Christ or truth itself. I am grateful to be in an environment where I can practice my faith. At St. Joseph's, we have the opportunity to participate in Mass each week, to gather and worship as that one body. These moments can only serve to grow our love for God and for one another.
In Christ's service,
Diane Price, M.Ed.L.
Truth Bible Verse for February
Saintly Quotes to Ponder
Humility is nothing but truth, and pride is nothing but lying. - St. Vincent de Paul
If you want peace, work for justice. If you want justice, defend life. If you want life, embrace the truth – the truth revealed by God. - St. John Paul the Great
Latin and greek roots challenge
Enrollment for 2019-2020
- Current students - The deadline has passed to inform the school of your not returning. Enrollment fees for current families will post on February 15th and are non-refundable.
- New Sibling Enrollment Application - The link to this application for current families enrolling a new sibling for the fall, can now be found on ParentsWeb.
- New Family Enrollment Application - The link to this application for new families to the school will be found on the school website February 8th.
Reminders and Upcoming Events
- Progress Reports - Emailed the afternoon of Friday, February 8th.
- Student Council (StuCo) Sponsored Dance for 6th, 7th, and 8th Grade- This Friday, February 8th, from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm. The theme is the 1950's! The cost to enter is $5.00 in advance or $7.00 at the door.
- My Competitive Knight - February 16th. Mom's and sons come together to compete with one another in a night full of fun games! Be sure to check out the flyer in the Thursday Folder.
- If you are an Amazon customer, please use Amazon Smile! We receive a donation from Amazon when you shop. Go to: smile.amazon.com to participate. It is a very easy way to support the school! Thank you!
- If you know a St. Joseph Catholic School alumni, please let them know we are looking to stay in contact, and would love to hear how they are doing. See the notice in our alumni section of below.
Annual Fund - Quest for Excellence!
Tomorrow is the Last Day!
We still have one day left in our campaign. If you would like to participate, check out the "Donate Now!" button on the school website: https://stjosephtx.org/
With 100% participation in 100 days, we hope to raise $100,000 to help with campus security enhancements, tuition assistance, construction of another storage facility, and bonuses for our teachers. Any amount is appreciated.
A huge THANK YOU to everyone who has already participated! We have created a display in the school foyer to celebrate our participants. If you do not wish for your name to be shared in any display or in any publication, please email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and your name will be kept anonymous.
Home and School Association (HSA)
- Our February Spirit Knight will occur on February 5th at Red Robin located at 421 E. Interstate 20 from 6:00 to 8:00 pm.
- The next HSA Meeting will be February 20th at 7:00 pm in the school cafeteria. There is a free dress day on Friday, February 22nd, for the children of HSA members in attendance that night.
- Please bring in your box tops. Be sure to check out the bulletin board display in the cafeteria to see which homeroom is in the lead! Thank you for all the hard work cutting and collecting for the school!
- Looking for uniform pieces? Need to sell some pieces your child has outgrown? There is a Facebook page for that: SJCS Online Uniform Resale.
What is Empathy?
Those familiar with Love and Logic know that empathy… sincere empathy… frames the approach. It’s the hub around which the entire approach revolves. When we precede consequences with a sincere dose of compassion and concern, we increase the odds that the child will view their poor decision as the “bad guy” while continuing to perceive us as the “good guy.”
“I love you. This is so sad. When you guys argue and fight in the car it really drains my energy. One of the ways you can replace this energy is by working together to clean the bathrooms. Will you have that completed by bedtime or by noon tomorrow?”
“I know you love to play videos games. The sad thing is that I don’t feel like I can trust you with the computer right now. What do you think you can do to rebuild this trust?”
When we can provide sincere empathy first, is it far more likely they’ll learn responsibility rather than resentment? Does this also affect our stress level, by enabling us to avoid toxic anger, lectures, threats, frustration, and anger? Does it allow us to parent… or provide discipline in our classroom… without feeling guilty?
Sincere empathy opens the heart and mind to learning.
It enables us to lay our heads on our pillows each night
without harboring regret over how we treated others.
While empathy is powerful, many of us struggle with applying it in consistent ways. Because I can relate to this from a personal perspective, I’ve spent the last two decades grappling with deep questions over why this is the case. Might some of these challenges have to do with forgetting what empathy truly is and is not?
Empathy is about a sincere desire to understand another’s feelings.
It’s not a flippant, “I know how you feel” or “I’m so sorry.”
Empathy is an honest message of caring.
It’s not about manipulating or instilling guilt.
Empathy is about maintaining emotional boundaries while showing concern.
It’s not about making the other person’s problem our own.
Empathy is about modeling confidence and strength.
It’s not about demonstrating weakness.
Empathy is about forgiving others… and ourselves.
It’s not about trying to be perfect.
The first and primary rule of Love and Logic involves taking good care of ourselves so we can remain positive role models. As we pursue our desire to become ever more loving and effective parents or educators, does it make sense that doing so involves extending empathy to ourselves?
by Dr. Charles Fay
Safe Environment Training
You must first create a profile in VIRTUS for the Safe Environment Diocesan Program.
Per the Diocese, all school volunteers if they are current on Safe Environment, will have until 7/31/19 to renew through VIRTUS if you do not expire before that date. You need to go on the VIRTUS website and make a profile. You can do this without signing up for a class. Profiles are needed in the new system so we know you have previous training, as the old database is no longer open for viewing.
02/09/2019 10:00 AM St. Rita Parish-Ranger Ranger
02/13/2019 6:00 PM St. Maria Goretti Parish Arlington
02/13/2019 6:00 PM Most Blessed Sacrament Parish Arlington
02/16/2019 9:00 AM St. Maria Goretti Parish Arlington
02/16/2019 9:30 AM St. Vincent de Paul Parish Arlington
02/18/2019 9:00 AM Catholic Center Fort Worth
02/25/2019 6:30 PM St. Vincent de Paul Parish Arlington
02/26/2019 6:00 PM St. Andrew Parish Fort Worth
03/02/2019 9:00 AM St. Patrick Cathedral Fort Worth
03/02/2019 9:30 AM St. Vincent de Paul Parish Arlington
The upcoming Safe Environment Awareness Sessions at St. Joseph:
SATURDAY, FEB. 9 | SATURDAY, MARCH 16
Both classes will be in the Community Center.
Knights in Action!
Happy Lunar New Year!
Here is a "Happy New Year" for you in Vietnamese!
Area Spelling Bee
Moments around campus
Geoboards and Designs
Roboknights in Action!
Faculty, Staff, and Families
Lunar New Year fun!
The first faces you see when entering the school, Kelly Soto and Lori Zalesak, an awesome duo!
A family relative came to visit their Knight this week. All are welcome!
Do you have any information you would like to share with the entire Knight Community? We would love that as well! Please send your news to email@example.com.
Once a Knight - Forever a Knight!
Meet our parish priests!
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Parish
- Be sure to look into FORMED.org. The parish has paid for your subscription to this vast library of inspiring videos and essential reads to help grow your faith. Just go straight to the "Enter Code" button and enter 4BDX9H to begin the process. You may also access this through the parish website link below. Enjoy!
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is occurring after daily Mass in the Chapel until 5:45pm. Come spend some time with our Lord.
- Please enjoy this link to a lovely article in the North Texas Catholic about the pastor of St. Joseph Parish, Fr. Kelley: https://t.co/3ItrotxIyf
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth link:
ST. JOSEPH, PROTECTOR OF FAMILIES, PRAY FOR US.