proudly presents the February edition of:
Community news from the greatest place on Earth...
Principal Nelson's Newsletter
February may have an ‘r’ in the middle that is often forgotten to be pronounced, but it is heavily audible here on campus this month. That’s right, the ‘r’ in February is dedicated to our favorite word in education:
This month is when Valentine’s Day is celebrated and when we come together as a campus to celebrate Black History Month. We need our students to learn about African Americans' incredible achievements and contributions over time and be able to relate to them. For our students to truly appreciate the hard work and sacrifices of others, we have to make the lessons and activities relatable. Learning how all American music has its roots embedded in New Orleans is one thing, but immersing one’s self in the music via a Congo Square on campus (2/08) or participating in a Second Line Parade (2/23) takes the lesson from the Powerpoint to the hallways, to the very fiber of their bones.
Relating to another culture is equivalent to being able to understand it, and we feel one of the best ways to experience the culture is not only with our ears but with our mouths as well. That’s right, after the Second Line Parade, we will all congregate and celebrate with delicious, traditional delicacies from Louisiana.
Relationships will only strengthen when the entire Rosedale Nation comes together for a Valentine’s Day dance in our gym on February 16th. We are fortunate to have our Go Project students here on campus for this shindig, so we can continue to build and maintain relationships with them. We love hosting the Go Project and allowing them to shake their tail feathers with us, and we are always looking for new ways to include them.
We’ve dedicated ourselves to building authentic relationships with our students, ourselves, and especially you. We want to know all about you, your story, and how we can best support you. Raising children is the noblest job one can ever be asked to do, and we appreciate you for doing it so well. We also know that trusting others to help is difficult, and we thank you so much for entrusting us with assisting you on this journey. Yes, all of our students have special needs, but thankfully, they also have many special people in their corner encouraging them to conquer mountains. Do not ever discount that what you are doing is enviable to all and easy for none. You create mountain conquerors because you have conquered mountains as well.
Our kids are who we are.
7505 Silvercrest Dr.
Austin, TX 78757
512-414-3617 ext. 70744 office
What's Happening on Campus
Congo Square 2/09
Paying tribute to the Congo Square in New Orleans where everybody could freely dance, play their music, and celebrate their unique culture, we will be recreating one here on campus. Students and staff can jam out with one another and celebrate Black History month with music.
Love Dance 2/16
We're celebrating the season of Love by having a Love Dance in our gym on Friday the 16th. Sure, it's 2 days after Valentine's Day, but our students have so much love to give we have to let them let it all out on the dance floor. And yes, Barry White songs will be playing throughout.
Black History Month Cuisine and 2nd Line Parade 2/23
If it's a celebration at Rosedale, then you know they'll be food! And dancing, and singing, and marching, and instruments, and you name it! Just like in New Orleans we will have students, and staff, and band members march around campus celebrating, then culminating with some delicious home-cooked food.
Please use this form (click above) for your student if h/she is going to be arriving late or will be attending any doctor's appointments or therapies. For questions, please contact Tracy Castillo at (512) 414-3617 ext. 57110
February is Peak Flu Season. Click below for information & see how to prevent
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!
CPATH's Annual CP Awareness Month
Saturday, March 23, 2024
from 12:00 - 2:00 pm
Rosedale School Playground
7505 Silvercrest Dr, Austin, TX 78757
This is sure to be a fun-filled afternoon of activities, food, & music!!
The event is open to everyone.
RSVP HERE by Wednesday, February 21st @ 5:00 pm to guarantee a Fun-Free-Family Swag Bag!
Have questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Family RSVP: https://forms.gle/zxbnuBCZCK7iZrXN6
Community Partner Sign UP: https://forms.gle/YitWQ7rpsss2wLW26
Five Random Questions: Getting to know the best people on Earth
Each newsletter we will showcase a few Rosedale Raccoon staff members and ask them five random questions. Be forewarned, the questions are random and chaotic and may not pertain to what we do here each day at Rosedale, but they should give you a glimpse of the inner-workings of those who have answered the call of awesomeness.
Ember Z (we can't tell you the last name...you'll see why): Green Wing TA and Maven of the Macabre
- What song reminds you of high school? The Beautiful People by Marylyn Manson.
- What was your first job? I was a ranch hand at a ranch in East Texas. It paid room and board and had 24 Tennessee Walkers and 1 Mustang (which would lead me to believe that a Tennessee Walker is a horse and not a bunch of ambling volunteers).
- If you could own any mythical creature (phoenix, unicorn,) what would it be? I would not like to "own" one but rather be friends with a Centaur.(the answer was influenced by her time on the ranch and her 25 hooved besties). I'm sure we would get along famously (no doubt making fun of minotaurs and satyrs).
- What is the weirdest thing you secretly do daily? About three times a day, I'll do a pit check (come again?), you know, smell my armpits. Want to make sure I do not offend.
- How early do you arrive at the airport for a flight? 3-4 hours early, even for domestic. I've always been detained and have even had NSA interview after my flight when I arrived home. I share DNA and the last name of a person the NSA considers a spy and is not allowed to go to certain countries. (hence, only the letter Z)
Madison Algeo: Totally tubular TLC teacher (yay!) and University of Washington alum (not yay)
1. Who is the smartest person you know (present company excluded)? My father always knows what to say at all the right times. I admire and respect him.
2. If you had a yacht, what would you name it? Lil' Yachty (for those not in the know, that is also the name of a famous MC the kids are all listening to these days...for those even less in the know, an MC is a performer of rap music...in case my parents are reading this, rapping is an artistic form of vocal delivery and emotive expression that incorporates "rhyme, rhythmic speech, and [commonly] street vernacular)
3. What's your favorite way to spend time with your family? We love to travel together, take long walks, and watch movies. Since they live so far away in Washington (not in TX) we speak on the phone every day.
4. If you could trade places with someone for a week (present company excluded again), who would it be? One of my dogs for a day (someone, not something, and 7 days, not 1). Then I'd like to trade places with Jane Goodall (she may have passed) ...then with somebody who works with animals like a researcher or something!!!! (take it easy...I checked...she's alive...relax.You can be Jane Goodall)
5. How often do you say "thank you" or "sorry'" in a day (pretty sure you owe me one for the above outburst)? Oh, about a million times. I'm always saying "thank you" to my students for their hard work and when they are being nice to one another. I'm always thanking my team for doing such a great job and supporting the classroom. And I'm always saying "I'm sorry" to the administration for being difficult during the 5 questions :)
Students can still register for the current year, 2023-24. For the 2024-25 school year, Austin ISD's new enrollment system makes registration easier with a more accessible, equitable, and transparent process. Students can enroll early to gain a seat in special programs with more program options. Enroll now to "Find Your Seat" the 2024-25 school year!
The Comprehensive Clinic invites your family to their annual Sweetheart's Dance
2/6/24, 11am PTA Social at Hold Out Brewing, **large parking lot behind the building**
2/13/24, 11:30-1 pm, PTA Meeting, lunch provided. The presnter at this week's PTA Meeting is Thomas Pierce-Program Coord. of Youth with Disabilities, Summer Youth Employment Program
Please us the virtual link provided below if you can't make it in person.
4/6/24 Rosedale Ride at The Pitch
Check out the new website to register: The Rosedale Foundation
4/20/24, 5-8 pm, Glow Light Prom
Would you like to be Reminded of 2023-24 Rosedale school information & events by text? Your cell number is confidential
Step 1, enter this number: 81010
Step 2, text this message: @egebb7
Kimberly Johnson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Rosedale School PTA meeting
Time: Feb 13, 2024 11:30 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 893 3381 1815
Rosedale School PTA President
Did you know 2024 is the 30th Anniversary of the Rosedale Ride!