William Howard Taft
Ariel McCullough and Ashleigh Cowan
America at this Time
- Very involved in Latin America
- They were in the Progressive Era
- They created the 16th Amendment
- Interstate Commerce Commission had growing power
Key People of the Presidency
- Philander Knox - Secretary of State
- Franklin Macveagh - Secretary of the Treasury
- Jacob M. Dickinson - Secretary of War (1909)
- Henry L. Stimson - Secretary of War (1911)
- George W. Wickersham - Attorney Generak
- Frank H. Hitchcock - Postmaster General
- George von L. Meyer - Secretary of the Navy
- Richard A. Ballinger - Secretary of the Interior (1909)
- Walter L. Fisher - Secretary of the Interior (1911)
- James Wilson - Secretary of Agriculture
- Charles Nagel - Secretary of Commerce and Labor
"Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood."
"Presidents come and go, but the Supreme Court goes on forever."
"Politics makes me sick."
16th Amendment - creating an income tax without clearing it among the states.
Payne-Aldrich Tariff - lowered rates on some, raised a fewer amount of rates.
He were really involved in Latin America and it's economy.
Open Door Policy - America and China can openly trade with each other.
He made land that was saved for conservation public again, allowing companies to use it.