Mrs. McCann's Grade One
Weekly Newsletter: WEEK 6
Upcoming Important Dates
- Friday, Oct. 7 - 11:40 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack). Turkey Trot (community walk & assembly). All parents welcome! Fun lunch order DUE by midnight.
- Monday, Oct. 10 - No school for Thanksgiving
- Tuesday, Oct. 11 - Classroom Reading Program begins. Buddy Books will be sent home.
- Thursday, Oct. 13 - Fun Lunch (no canteen)
- Friday, Oct. 14 - 11:40 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack)
- Friday, Oct. 21 - PD Day, no school for students
- Friday, Oct. 28 - 11:40 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack)
- Monday, Oct. 31 - Halloween celebrations
- TURKEY TROT & ASSEMBLY: Please come and join us this Friday, Oct. 7 for our Turkey Trot and assembly. Around 8:20 we will be leaving the school for the school wide community walk/run (Turkey Trot). We will then meet in the gym for a fun assembly with turkey prizes and other surprises! Parents welcome!
- RAZ KIDS: Please let me know if you are having any troubles logging on and I will do my best to assist you. This website gives your child access to a world of books though www.raz-kids.com because our school has subscribed to the online library.
- FUN LUNCH: There will be a fun lunch on Oct. 13. Please remember that orders are due online by midnight on October 7. Just a quick reminder that there is no canteen on fun lunch days. To order fun lunch please see the link below: http://www.munchalunch.com/schools/aspengroveAB
- CLASSROOM READING PROGRAM: On Tuesday, Oct. 11 our classroom reading program begins. A note will be sent home explaining ways to read with your child along with your child's Buddy Book. Buddy Books are books that your child will read to you with minimal assistance. Students will be exchanging books on a daily basis. Please ensure that Buddy Books are returned in their binder (return to school side) and recorded everyday in their agenda.
- SOUP LABELS: Please bring in your Campbell soup labels, Goldfish cracker labels, Prego labels and V8 labels for drop off at the office. These labels are collected and used to purchase gym equipment for out school!
- SCHOOL WIDE NEWSLETTER: Please subscribe to receive the school wide newsletter to your email at the bottom of our school website:
Here are a few things that have been "happening" in the classroom. These are great discussion starters with your child.
1) Talk about the two new characters we were introduced to that help us remember our letters and letter sounds that we need for reading and spelling. Have your child tell you one thing they remember about Farley Fox and Baby Barnaby. Then have them tell you what sounds those two characters like the best, and what letter represents those sounds.
2) Get your child to tell you what they are thankful for. As them what they wrote on their turkey crafts.
3) We recently read the book "Have You Filled a Bucket Today?" Have your child come up with and talk about three different ways they can fill someone's bucket.