Dr. Deborah Rowe
- There is a difference between children's writing and drawing.
- Around the age of 3 children use different actions for writing and drawing.
- Ask "what did you write?" rather than "what did you draw?"
- Look at long term curriculum and focus on integrating writing in subjects.
- Make children write their name on everything. Don't write it for them!
- When shown a piece of paper ask them to read the "scribbles".
- Nationally we focus on reading but not writing.
- Writing gives students the opportunity to slow down the decoding process.
- More assessments for early writing.