Periodic Table Element Project

Alkaline Earth Metals By Trystain Conner

Calcium - Ca

Atomic Number: 20

Atomic Mass: 40.078

Protons: 20

Neutrons: 20

Electrons: 20

Basic Facts About Calcium

Melting point is 1,548°F (842°C)

Freezing point is 1,548°F (842°C

Boiling point is 2,703°F (1,484°C)

Calcium was founded by Humphry Davy

He founded in 1808

Photos Of Calcium

Other Cool Facts

  • Calcium is very important for the human body. 99% of the body's calcium is stored in the bones and teeth, helping to strengthen them. The other 1% helps with muscle movement allowing nerves to carry messages between the brain and our body parts. It helps blood vessels move blood around and assists with the release of hormones and enzymes. If you don't have calcium you can't live. The name calcium comes from the Latin word calx which means lime.
  • Calcium is also found in other minerals such as gypsum (calcium sulfate) and fluorite (calcium fluoride) and it occurs to a lesser extent in igneous and metamorphic rocks, mainly in silicate minerals.

Uses of Calcium.

Calcium metal is used as a reducing agent in preparing other metals such as thorium and uranium, and as an alloying agent for aluminium, beryllium, copper, lead and magnesium alloys.

Calcium compounds are widely used.

Information website

Http://www.sciencekids.co.nz./sciencefacts/chemistry/carbon.ht

Ml;http://www.livescience.com/28698-facts-about-carbon.html