WOMEN EMPOWERING WOMEN
BY: MAYA SIMMONS
WHAT IS WOMEN'S EMPOWERMENT?
The Principles of Women's Empowerment
- Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality
- Treat all women and men fairly at work—respect and support human rights and nondiscrimination
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all women and men workers
- Promote education, training and professional development for women Implement enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices that empower women
- Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy Measure and publicly report on progress to achieve gender equality
- See more at: http://www.unwomen.org/en/partnerships/businesses-and-foundations/womens-empowerment-principles#sthash.H0brjAOm.dpuf
Investing in Women's Empowerment
Investing in gender equality and women's empowerment can unlock human potential on a transformational scale. Women account for one-half of the potential human capital in any economy. More than half a billion women have joined the world’s work force over the past 30 years, and they make up 40 percent of the agriculture labor force. According to the World Bank, countries with greater gender equality are more prosperous and competitive.
Call to action
Calls to Action provide succinct guidance on advancing the seven principles by focusing in on particular challenges, opportunities and WEPs-related topics. They offer relevant facts and figures, good practices, the business case for action, and further resources that may be of assistance to companies seeking to implement the WEPs.
- Invest in Women's Rights to Health
- Bring Down Legal Barriers for Women’s Economic Empowerment
- Tackle Unconscious Bias to Create Inclusive Business Environments
- Invest in Women’s Employment