Social Emotional Development
Birth - Age 2
A strong emotional connection between people
- Several early attachment behaviors are shown by infants.
- Parents play many different roles in the lives of their children,
- Teacher, playmate, disciplinarian, caregiver and attachment figure.
- an attachment figure is one of the most important
- in predicting the child’s later social/emotional outcome
Changes over time..
Birth - 3 months
- Newborn doesn't really have emotion.
- excitement and distress are only shown
- excitement = Smiling , Distress =crying
- No tears when child cry.
- Children respond to others with smiles/laughter's
- make happy sounds when played with/held
- notice and smile at other babies
- tears begin to appear
- uses different cries for different distress.
- Becomes actively involved
- emotions start to show
- sounds in response to others
- develops fear
- develops attachment to caregiver
- separation anxiety starts to show
- behavior continues 14 - 16 months
- separation anxiety
- anxiety occur
- interest in exploring
- play next to other children
- do not interact much with them
- self - awareness
- say "NO"