TeacherKit is a fairly simple to use app that allows you to take attendance, create a seating chart, track behavior and grades all in one area.
TeacherKit is free for the iOS. Is also comes in Windows8 but as I don't have a Windows 8 computer/tablet I couldn't test to see how much it cost. For iOS it works on the iPad, the iPhone, and the iPod Touch. Once you download the free app you will be prompted to purchase a $2.99 reporting feature. I would advise using the app for an extended period of time before buying it. It seems to just put the information already available to you into a prettier format. This could be beneficial for K-12 teachers who meet with parents but not so much for Higher Ed instructors.
Visit http://www.teacherkit.net to learn more and download the app.
What can it do?
You can create attendance schemes that are broader than just Absent and Present and can set an alert threshold that will flag the student when they are nearing a critical number of absences.
Taking roll is easy. Just tap each student until the appropriate roll status is displayed. You can even mark all students as present with the touch of one button, then go back and change the few that are absent. This is a real time saver.
One downside, it doesn't calculate a percentage of missed vs present. It only displays the number of each type and you have to calculate it yourself.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Before using this app to track grades be sure to check with your school principal or department chair as they may not allow the storage of grades on an iPad/tablet due to FERPA restrictions.
Other Features and Info
- Automatic backup to the device or Dropbox.com.
- Additional password for the app itself for added protection of your grades.
- Ability to export all the reports in excel format via email.
- Can import a class list from a csv file for easy creation.
- Doesn't interface with OAKS attendance tool.
- No attendance percentage calculation.
- Can figure out how to import the student's pictures with the csv import. You would have to take their pictures the first few days of class directly into the app.
- No email or notification of when a student has met a grade or attendance threshold except for the small exclamation point on their image.
- No behavior presets.
Give this app a try. It's free so there's no harm.